Reloader: brass and bullets accumulation

gemihur

If all you wanna do is shoot whitetail you'll be fine
You'll need bullets bigger than .264 & .284 to bring down some larger game.
I reload a broad range from .204 Ruger to 45-70 so I can be ready to accommodate any hunt requirements.

Big7

The Oracle
If all you wanna do is shoot whitetail you'll be fine
You'll need bullets bigger than .264 & .284 to bring down some larger game.
I reload a broad range from .204 Ruger to 45-70 so I can be ready to accommodate any hunt requirements.

I can't think of anything in this hemisphere
that a properly propelled .284 175-180gr
can't handle with ease. Even African plains
game too.

6.5X55 is an excellent cartridge.
Inherently extremely accurate,
plenty of power and you could
build your custom rifle that
doesn't weigh 12 pounds.
Components are not as nearly
as hard to find as people think.

Just Sayin'

Last edited:

rosewood

It's not the size of the bullet, but the amount of powder behind it. :)

AVS23

Great responses. I lost track of this thread and found my way back To it this morning.
Yes when I was talking about brass I am referring to resizing but I can see the point where 100 rounds of brass will last a lifetime unless I’m hot loading it and I’m not really interested in that.

I’ve been looking at the 260 for comparable bullets to the 6.5 Swede but I am also considering the 25/06 again.

Any thought on these two. Still the same concept, got inspired by the Kimber Hunter, light weight build as stated in the OP.

Again thanks for the responses. By the way I’ve already got dies for the 06 and abojt 100 rounds da of brass. Just can’t decide if I wanna go with a 25/06 or jump over to the 260, even though the Swede our performs it by a littel

AVS23

Oh I thought about it. Lol my neighbor says thats where I’m heading any ways... haven’t found ballistics data on the 6.5-06... you know of any?

AVS23

I’ve got 243,30/30,6.5x55 and access to a 280 and 30/06.
Don’t really see a point in 270 because the 280 does that and more. Don’t know I wanna 260 except for bullet and brass compatability (duplicates the Swede)

rosewood

I am a firm believer a 280 is a superior round to the 270 from a bullet availability especially. Ballistically, they are dang near identical. Had the 280 been invented first, the 270 wouldn't be here. Since the 270 came about first and is still popular to the non-reloading world, it will probably always be here and therefore is a good cartridge to have around.

Rosewood

AVS23

I much prefer the 280 to the 270 due to bullets.

Yeah I got velocity in the Nosler and hornday manuals. Looking for drop and lbs at yardages. Guess I’ll have to plug them into a calculator.

I think I saw where the 06 only produced around 150fps more than the Swede but requires 10 grains more powder. If that’s the case then the 6.5-06 is a no go.

AVS23

It to mention having to buy a barrel for the long action instead of just purchasing a gun and swapping the stocks and having a smith lighten some thing up.

gemihur

I guess I'm an overachiever.
I like two holes in my quarry.
Bleeding out both sides.
Ya' never know what bones ya' gotta get past.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Oh My! The guilt is killin me...I bought 200 new .243 cases...I don't even have a .243 and have 2 lifetimes of brass....smh

AVS23

Build it! If I had parts I’d already sold them off, especially if they sat there for more than a month.

Jester896

Senior Clown
torn between it and a .22-250. been wanting a .243 for 20 years...I have an old Winchester light weight carbine in .22-250.

AVS23

I’m a fan of the 243. Killed 2 does back to back this year with a 100 g bullet and neither ran 20 yards.