reloading question

Dub

I thought the Tikkas were built in long action form and always assumed that the magazine would be really generous with short action cartridges.

Can't remember.

I've got a T3 .270WSM in the safe. I need to go pop the magazine out and look at it more carefully.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Hop Sing say " Some Thing Not Right" ...

all the more reason to measure from the ogive I think. I just wonder if it isn't bumping on a feed ramp or something. I am assuming that he isn't seeing any deformation on the tip. They are TTSX...just wondering if you can rub .010 off and not be able to tell.:huh:

BriarPatch99

Baddave .... I don't believe I remember seeing any measurements of your expander ball ... did you measure it ....

What about the outside diameter of the neck of one your reloaded brass ...

I don't have a set of .260 dies to measure ...I do have a .264 WM that I can measure ... never had any movements with them(I measure by Ogive) they would/should be the same ...diameter for the expander....

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
Baddave .... I don't believe I remember seeing any measurements of your expander ball ... did you measure it ....

I don't have a set of .260 dies to measure ...I do have a .264 WM that I can measure ... never had any movements with them(I measure by Ogive) they would/should be the same ...diameter for the expander....

i wonder if measuring the outside diameter might be the simplest for this guesstimate... outside diameter - .028 (betting neck thickness is .014) = .306 if things are correct I'm thinking. The outside diameter of a sized case should be .297

I think I have a NIB set of RCBS .260 dies...I normally use my Comp Set

What is the brass mfg?

baddave

yes BP . read post 35 #4... these are federal .243 cases . remember i call this a "squeeze" to me there's a difference between squeeze and crimp.. also i measured outside dia. and it is consistent the whole neck.. i can stop doing that , i don't mind but it has always been just a little squeeze . i can't help but think if more people measured after firing they'd find they have same issue... and it really don't matter if the bullets are sst or barnes TTSX.. thanks again for the attention here.

baddave

i wonder if measuring the outside diameter might be the simplest for this guesstimate... outside diameter - .028 (betting neck thickness is .014) = .306 if things are correct I'm thinking. The outside diameter of a sized case should be .297

I think I have a NIB set of RCBS .260 dies...I normally use my Comp Set

What is the brass mfg?
thnx and i did measure for that .. can't remember what it was but was consistent the length of the neck... and i just thought something . i have a grip-n-pull bullet puller and i have pulled bullets before , they are extremely tight

baddave

all the more reason to measure from the ogive I think. I just wonder if it isn't bumping on a feed ramp or something. I am assuming that he isn't seeing any deformation on the tip. They are TTSX...just wondering if you can rub .010 off and not be able to tell.:huh:
good point , no pun intended , i'll check that closer next time .the way my eyes are that might be . i really don't have a way to measure to ogive yet

BriarPatch99

Quit the squeeze .... There is no reason to do anything other than seat the bullet !!!!

What was the expander ball diameter after you sanded the ball???

.262" May not be small enough . ... that is only .002" neck tension . ... .003 or .004 is not uncommon ....

But back to ....are your measuring by the Ogive ....if not you are wasting your time ....

Jester896

Senior Clown
BriarPatch99...unless squeeze is neck tension

if you can rap that hammer 1 time to get that bullet out..1. you are reallly really good at it...2. you don't have enough neck tension

when I read what you have written it sounds to me that when you fire a bullet, the remaining bullets in the mag (clip) change their seating depth...I have countless times proven that I can fail a reading comprehension quiz at a moments notice.

That is why I asked for a step by step

JMN1976

If I am reading you correct your using 243 and 308 cases to make 260 cases. If my assessment is correct the brass has to go somewhere when reforming cases - is this the potential problem with the neck thickness of the brass. Measurements on ID of the neck may be OK, but the neck thickness may be reduced thus not applying proper tension or applying it incorrectly due to where the excess reformed material went. Do you have a factory 260 cartridge you can try in the magazine for a comparison?
Maybe something in these articles will help:
this one is actually using reformed 260 cases in a Tikka:
https://www.ammoland.com/2017/09/the-7-steps-to-brass-case-conversion/#axzz5q4TxDwS8

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/reloading/neck-tension-not-just-bushing-size/

Jester896

Senior Clown
odd...I never caught he was reforming cases

seems to me Federal brass work hardens before others

BriarPatch99

BriarPatch99...unless squeeze is neck tension

Heck if I know what his version of squeeze is ....

(the below is Intended for new reloaders and folks who have limited knowledge of reloading)...

I really wish folks would use terms that are normally used in the reloading process ....it would likely improve the help that they need or want .... If a person does not have this knowledge ....most reloading manuals normally have a Glossary or an Illustrated Glossary in the back section .... If a reloader does not own at least a couple reloading manuals ....they probably need to stop and get several and read them front to back ....

Another problem we encounter is when multiple threads get intertwined within one thread .... It makes it hard to follow the original poster ... If you have a question that should be in its own thread ...Please help us out and start one ....that way every body can get the help they need ....

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

Baddave ....

My .264 Winchester Magnum expander measures .... 0.2619 with a decent micrometer .... It recoils quite a bit more than a .260 Remington .... So far I have never had any bullet movement .... I have not used the 100 grain TTSX ....but have the Hornady 123 grain SET ....

baddave

Baddave ....

My .264 Winchester Magnum expander measures .... 0.2619 with a decent micrometer .... It recoils quite a bit more than a .260 Remington .... So far I have never had any bullet movement .... I have not used the 100 grain TTSX ....but have the Hornady 123 grain SET ....
w/ you guys help and w/o a way of measuring from ogive i believe y'all have solved the problem.. i do believe the plastic tip is being deformed and y'all made me look @ that possibility.. i try to distinguish between a squeeze and a crimp because there is a big difference . i may have my own word for it but maybe it should be adopted:). I can stop that . i believe the bullet is plenty tight and we exposed my inexperience, the problem, and you guys experience and helpful attitude.. i just sank 5 down to 2.782 and i'm going to see if they're still accurate @ that length.. sorry for all the confusion but you guys sure honed in on the problem

baddave

Heck if I know what his version of squeeze is ....

(the below is Intended for new reloaders and folks who have limited knowledge of reloading)...

I really wish folks would use terms that are normally used in the reloading process ....it would likely improve the help that they need or want .... If a person does not have this knowledge ....most reloading manuals normally have a Glossary or an Illustrated Glossary in the back section .... If a reloader does not own at least a couple reloading manuals ....they probably need to stop and get several and read them front to back ....

Another problem we encounter is when multiple threads get intertwined within one thread .... It makes it hard to follow the original poster ... If you have a question that should be in its own thread ...Please help us out and start one ....that way every body can get the help they need ....
if you are familiar w/ a lee crimp die then you can see that the tension can be totally set or adjusted .. i bought it for this purpose .. .. what i'm doing is probably so insignificant that it is irrelevant which is why i try to differentiate by referring as a squeeze

Last edited:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I appreciate ALL the help in this thread/ forum and knew I had stepped over the line after the fact. Help came to the rescue anyway so I let it be. I apologize.
I will start my own thread in the future.
Bottom line is I have some loaded tight now and very very thankful.
I also learned some tips in this thread beyond what I thought I already knew and some forgotten. I wished I had thanked @rayjay previously also.
The only real harm I see is a buncha mo deer gonna go down.:confused:

JMN1976

I personally am not a fan of a "lee factory crimp die" - this device in my opinion is not how a factory manufactured cartridge crimps cases. The Lee FCD uses a collet that requires up force on the ram to squeze the neck around the bullet this is actually just a way to deform the brass which actually creates a bell or lip w/out any other better adjectives to describe what it is really doing. In theory it could work but it very difficult to get it set just right and then it really doesn't do anything worthwhile if you ask me. I only added this last comment to give insight to other in the future that may think the Lee FCD is the way to go, but if you ask me it does alot more harm than any potential good. Just my opinion and $0.02 worth on the Lee FCD.

Good luck shooting and your future reloading endeavors