Reloading the 44 mag

tree cutter 08

Ok, I'm getting 4 and 5 inch groups with Hornady 240 grain xtp bullets and started with 22 gr and went up to 24gr of h100. I tried Hornady factory loads using the same bullet and am getting 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. This is out of a Ruger 77/44. Would that big of difference be in the powder selection? The Hornady loads felt as hot or hotter than my Max reloads. Everything I've read is h100 is top of the line in the 44 mag

transfixer

Ok, I'm getting 4 and 5 inch groups with Hornady 240 grain xtp bullets and started with 22 gr and went up to 24gr of h100. I tried Hornady factory loads using the same bullet and am getting 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. This is out of a Ruger 77/44. Would that big of difference be in the powder selection? The Hornady loads felt as hot or hotter than my Max reloads. Everything I've read is h100 is top of the line in the 44 mag

How are you crimping them ? roll crimp ? if you are I'd suggest a lee factory crimp die, makes consistent crimping a lot easier, which can affect accuracy , especially in a pistol, also if the H100 doesn't work out, try some bluedot, as someone else mentioned , bluedot was my go to powder when loading for a 44mag pistol years ago, I used 2400 when loading for a rifle,

tree cutter 08

Yes, I'm roll crimping. The factory hornady loads don't look like they have much of a crimp. I'm loading with large pistol primers and some of the different load data out there recommended a magnum primer. Reckon that would affect accuracy?

transfixer

Yes, I'm roll crimping. The factory hornady loads don't look like they have much of a crimp. I'm loading with large pistol primers and some of the different load data out there recommended a magnum primer. Reckon that would affect accuracy?

I don't know that magnum primers would really affect accuracy, they're mainly called for on loads that call for a large amount of slow burning powder, at least that's the way I understand it. I've only bought magnum primers when the source I was buying from was out of regular ones, I've mainly only used regular primers on all the various calibers I load.

To me the factory crimp just makes sure that each bullet leaves the case at approx. the same point during the ignition process, usually allowing for a more uniform burn, in my mind that matters more when loading for short barreled firearms. But that's just my opinion, I know I've always had good results using Bluedot, and its generally considered a powder that works well in pistol cartridges, especially like .357 and others in that same velocity range.

Darkhorse

I always use magnum primers in the .44 mag they are really needed with powders like WW296 and other slow burning powders. The only exception is when I load light loads of Unique for plinking.
The use of regular primers could definitely cause your groups to open up at 100 yards due to inconsistent ignition. Another thing could be your bullets are not seated perfectly straight. Look at the bulge previously mentioned, often you can tell the bullet was seated at a slight angle. Expect that bullet to tail in that direction a little bit but it adds up and can be significant at 100 yards. You could try a Hornady inline bullet seater and your 100 yard groups should improve.
All the above are just my opinion. Based mostly on loading the .44 Mag. in both pistols and a Ruger Carbine for the last 38 years, but still just my opinion none the less.

JeffinPTC

I know this is off the 44 mag topic, but for those who load 357 and 41 mag, this is important:
During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:

• Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
  • Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/safety_notices.aspx

transfixer

I know this is off the 44 mag topic, but for those who load 357 and 41 mag, this is important:
During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:

• Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
  • Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/safety_notices.aspx

WOW ! that's news, I haven't loaded .357's in a few years, but sized some last night and was going to finish loading tonite, Blue Dot has always been my go to powder for that round, and I know for a fact I've loaded plenty of 125gr loads in the past, I wonder why they consider the 158gr loads okay to use, but not the 125gr loads ? I know the lighter bullet will call for more powder, but ?

JeffinPTC

Probably wouldn't be an issue as BD loads have been used for a long time, but why chance it?
Lyman 49 and Sierra 5 still have Bluedot recipes for the 357 125 gr and 41 mag. Lee 2, Hornady 10 don't.

transfixer

Probably wouldn't be an issue as BD loads have been used for a long time, but why chance it?
Lyman 49 and Sierra 5 still have Bluedot recipes for the 357 125 gr and 41 mag. Lee 2, Hornady 10 don't.

I have the Lyman 50 and the new Hornady, I've noticed they seem to have fewer powder options listed than in the past on a lot of loads, I may use the BD anyway, and just drop down the charge a bit from max. I don't have another powder that will do the same as BD I don't think.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I reloaded Sierra 85 grain HPBT Game King bullets for many years and killed at least 50 deer with them and everyone of them dropped like a rock. I also think they are just as accurate as the 85 grain Match Kings.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I reloaded Sierra 85 grain HPBT Game King bullets for many years and killed at least 50 deer with them and everyone of them dropped like a rock. I also think they are just as accurate as the 85 grain Match Kings.

you don't say...what crimp die are you using

Tom W.

Where did you find such tiny bullets for a .44?