Relocating To Ga. ,.. Where?

Moving Man

ANTI-AMERICAN
Hello Southern Hunters,

New to your forum but soon to be a regular.

Let's say ya could pick a place to live in Georgia to retire too,... What section/county would you pick and why?

In 2.5 years I will be retiring to your state or just over the border in a nearby state,.. as I have family down there in Harris county. I would like to be within 6 hours drive of the family members.

I am fortunate to be coming in with about 200K cash from a house sale up here and will mortgage about another 100K. I plan on buying a hunting type of place with some land. It turns out your money goes much much further down there, than here in Massachusetts.

I am an avid food plotter up here in Mass and would like to have my own land to further explore that.

Even quadrants would be helpful like saying Northwest GA. because of xyz.

Thanks for any input

RootConservative

Welcome. You will be within 6 hours of family in any part of Georgia. I like hunting South Georgia and SW Georgia. What are you looking for in your property? Acreage, cut over, water on property, do you fish and want to be close to lakes and rivers?, thick woods, etc?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Georgia Yank !!!

Pretty much Anywhere in Georgia is less than 6 hours from Harris County so you are within that parameter anywhere you choose.

I make the assumption you are looking for acreage and want to get more acres for your money. Search land for sale at sites like this one.

https://www.landhub.com/property-for-sale/Georgia-land-for-sale/

I would look at counties like Putnam, Greene, Hancock, where land is cheaper and you are near the water.

Good luck ?

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I assume you want rural land- Middle GA has good hunting and reasonable land prices. Milkman had some good counties to look at - I would throw in Crawford, Taylor, Upson, and Stewart counties. Just a heads up - folks down there don't take kindly to liberal Yankees coming down and telling them how they need to be more like the place their fleeing. Good luck and WSB.

Rick Alexander

I always wanted to relocate to where my grandparents lived. Anywhere near the Statesboro area - land is reasonable (somewhat), hunting is awesome (lots of farm land around there), near to decent healthcare in Statesboro and Augusta, fantastic fishing very near by in very good rivers and Savannah is 50 miles away if you love offshore fishing. People are incredibly friendly - country folks by definition. My Aunt and Uncle lived in a little town called Rocky Ford - great little town. Only problem is it's below the nat line - google that if you're confused but it is a pretty big deal but it never bothered me compared to the advantages.

Stay far far away from Atlanta - don't ever go through it if you can possibly avoid it. I live near Atlanta and if it weren't for my grandkids I'd be outta here.

DSGB

How close do you want to be to your family?

Honestly, Harris county would be a good choice - great deer, mostly rural - but it will be more expensive compared to surrounding counties.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Harris county is some serious trophy country in itself...
Anywhere in the immediate surrounding vicinity would probably be near as good if that is what you're looking for...

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I've been here since '85 and they still call me a yank. Don't take it personal. MOST of them are just jerking your chain.
We aren't jerking anyone's chain.. You'll be a Yankee until you are dead and long after.. :bounce:

mtrdud

Harris county land is expensive. I live in Talbot county which is right next to Harris county and the talbot county deer are inferior to the ones in Harris and Meriwether so pick accordingly. Talbot county land is cheaper but you get very little for your tax dollar. As stated, stay away from Atlanta.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Welcome to Georgia!
You'd love it here in Banks County the best.
Originally from Maine myself. Family moved down with Huber wafer board mill.
Banks Co has a mix of heavy acorn producing oak varieties, pine and other hard and softwood. We have cattle farms and a little ag farming, hay making up a lot of that.
Banks Co is not the cheapest land in Ga but it's far from the expensive side. Probably in the middle. BUT! Best part of Banks Co land is less expensive land tax because of the I-85 and Hwy 441 intersection! That interstate exit is BOOMING and Banks Co makes money off those businesses taxes so homeowners/land owners have it easier. Plus the benifit of living in a real rural county but being a hop skip away from everythin you want to eat and shop right there at the interstate exit!
Banks Co has an awesome deer herd!! Deer everywhere and bucks look great when they mature!
Close to lake Hartwell and lake Lanier, mountain trout streams just a quick ride up 441. Good luck and Go Pats! Go Bruins!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Harris Co. is where I’d be if you can afford the price. You’ll be close to your kin and the deer hunting is tip top.