Relocating To Ga. ,.. Where?

georgia_home

I don’t think folks here really mind Yankees TOO MUCH, as long as they don’t vote like Yankees. For the record, a republican governor in Massachusetts would be considered a Democrat YankMe in Georgia.

That said if you have income without a job or don’t need a big income when you retire, just stay away from the big towns and you’ll be good. South of Atlanta two hours,’should find you reasonable prices on land and housing. Good hunting.

Unlike mass, there are poisonous snakes and gators in Georgia. It a not big deal, but they like sweet yankee flesh. Just be careful, and you’ll be fine.

Hello Southern Hunters,

New to your forum but soon to be a regular.

Let's say ya could pick a place to live in Georgia to retire too,... What section/county would you pick and why?

In 2.5 years I will be retiring to your state or just over the border in a nearby state,.. as I have family down there in Harris county. I would like to be within 6 hours drive of the family members.

I am fortunate to be coming in with about 200K cash from a house sale up here and will mortgage about another 100K. I plan on buying a hunting type of place with some land. It turns out your money goes much much further down there, than here in Massachusetts.

I am an avid food plotter up here in Mass and would like to have my own land to further explore that.

Even quadrants would be helpful like saying Northwest GA. because of xyz.

Thanks for any input

Lilly001

Mid Georgia is a pretty good location IMHO. It's what I chose.
I like the small town atmosphere.
The climate is acceptable, I am used to mid Florida, and the game is plentiful.
I've found land prices to be low, again I am used to mid Florida.
I could easily see 50-100 acres and a modest house for 300k or less.
And my taxes for 160 acres and a cabin was about 1500 this last year.

Stroker

I've been looking at purchasing property inside this triangle, east of I-65 from Nashville down to Montgomery Al, and west of I-75 from Atlanta to Macon. Drawing a line from Macon to Montgomery will keep you above the gnat line. Decent land prices and availability, good to excellent hunting and fishing, and easily within your max 6 hour drive to Harris county.

MCBUCK

Don't let these gentlemen lie to your common sensibilities; anywhere in the state that is south of Atlanta can get as hot as the hinges of hades. But the hunting can be great. Someone mentioned Meriwether county and I would agree as the property values are reasonable, hunting good and still very close to Harris. Harris is pricey because of the proximity to Ft Benning.
North Georgia mountains would be the preferred area, as that is where all the Florida folks seem to retire, but land is a bit more expensive than even what Harris county sees ( lots of mountain lakes, scenery etc) And the hunting is not as good as middle and south Georgia.
Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi River, so there are a lot of changes from Blue Ridge down to the Okefenokee; population, demographics, politics, economy..you name it. But here's a couple of little maps so you will at least have an idea of where/what the areas are

The Highlands are just that. Mostly mountainous interspersed with high valleys, and a couple of valleys in the river basins. Think "Appalachian mountains" but with a some money.
The Piedmont is gentle rolling hills. Lots of cow farms, intermediate sized row crop farms, great deer hunting. Small towns, not a lot of industry. Weather is tolerable. Ignore Atlanta; we're trying to get another Yankee to come back down and burn it again because the last guy didn't do a good job.
The plains are comparatively flat to the Piedmont and the Highlands. Some big farms here in areas. GREAT deer hunting, fishing. Can't say much about land pricing or home pricing, but I have killed a few good deer here...my experiences here were good, but aside from Callaway and the area around the Little White House I can't say much.
Coastal Plain is an area I have never spent much time at all in or around. I can tell you this though...it's really hot, they have a lot of bugs/snakes/skeeters/sand/gators and golf courses. I hear Jekyll Island is really nice this time of year. I live in the mountains and some of my hillbilly neighbors call the Georgia coast, "Florida North."

Hope all this drivel helps some

Attachments

• ga regions.gif
    ga regions.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 13
  • georgia region county.jpg
    georgia region county.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 13

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
you can come to Georgia, and welcome. As long as you promise to never ever vote for a democrat in Georgia.

Elbert county has some nice deer hunting, and is moderately priced land. Greene county also.

Buckman18

Fulton County would be a great place to think about. The culture is very diverse, and you’ll be around plenty of folks who came to Georgia from the same parts as you. You’ll be close to Falcons football, Braves baseball, and Varsity chili dogs. As an added bonus, the deer there grow to enormous proportions!

And, like NE Pappy said, if you vote Democrat you won’t have many friends...

Jim Boyd

If you want city areas, the hunting in and around Atlanta is insane, if it is big bucks you desire and you like archery. I think land access for hunting is real hard but if you bought, that would solve that problem. Many a 10-15 acre tract is a consistent buck producer there.

Otherwise, I would personally look along the Flint River corridor. Great hunting and you are also close to some excellent public offerings.

Best of luck!!!!

Moving Man

ANTI-AMERICAN
Just wanted to thank you all for the time spent and advice,.. For the most part you all live up to that Southern Hospitality you are all so famous for.

2.5 years away to retire,.. Dreams big.

Special thanks to the Realtor hunters who also PM'd me. When I buy it will be from a realtor who also hunts.

After the research and looking,.. it looks like either Harris/Meriwether area or further up to the mountains in the upper left corner of Ga would be my initial preferences.

Again,.. Thanks all...

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Glad we could help ?