Rem 700 ADL trigger issue

A Pre 64 Remington Model 700 ADL in 7MM Rem Mag.

I replaced the stock will a Bell and Carlsile to provide Fully floated for accuracy.
Here's my issue:
with the barreled action out of the stock the trigger pull is 2 lbs.
As soon as I bolt it in the weight jumps to 5.5 lbs.
I see nothing binding.
So....
I got layup fluid and put it all over the trigger assembly.
I found no binding or interference.

I have the stock bolted on to the action and get 3.5 lbs with the screws just barely tight. Not tightened down hard.

With the action out its 2 lbs pull.

When I tighten it down hard it jumps to 5.5 LBS pull.

What do you think?

I'm at a loss

Bill

rayjay

Obviously the bedding surface is not up to snuff. When you tighten up the action screws you are bending your action and probably binding up the 'sear safety cam' [ the correct Remington nomenclature ]. The SSC must be bearing down on the 'trigger connector' causing the trigger pull to go up. You can look on Numrich site to see the exploded views with the parts names.

Whenever I install a 700 trigger I make sure that the side plates of the trigger housing have not been pushed in at the rear. When you are tapping in the retaining pins sometimes they can be tight and this can push the side plate in against the SSC and bind it up. After I drive in the pins I take a soft piece of metal and tap the side plates outward at the very rear. You can see if they are pinched inward because they should be out tight against the sides of the trigger cutout in the rec.

One way you might could see if this is the problem is to remove the bolt and while holding the trigger rearward take a small drift or punch and push down on the SSC and make sure it is not binding up. Do this with the action out and then with it torqued down and see what happens.

I have been working on the bedding of a couple of 40X stocks lately and you do need to make sure there is nothing touching the safety lever, the back of the trigger housing and the bolt release lever and bolt stop release.

Let us know what you find.

rayjay

Also make sure the recoil lug is not bottoming out and that the action screws are not too long and touching the bolt although this last is instantly apparent.

I've got 2 stripped 700 recs coming for project guns and it's all fresh in my mind right now. Ready to get to work !!

Jester896

Senior Clown
yep...X2...check the rear action screw it might be a little long for the new stock.

jmoser

Some older rifle designs allow the stock and/or scope base screws, if 1 thread too long, to bind up the action / bolt if fully tightened. Not uncommon especially with aftermarket stocks.

Dust the stock inletting with carpenters chalk etc and see if it is rubbing on any action surfaces.

OK i looked and tried to follow RayJays advice..

I can't figure this out. Am I dense?

I don't have another trigger to look at so I can't tell anything.

The issue seems to be when I bolt the action in the stock but I cant seem to find out why.

Bill

jglenn

insure the bolt is not hitting the stock when in the closed position. if so open the bolt handle channel up for clearance.

try bolting the action down Without the bolt in place.. look at both receiver screws to make sure they are not too long especially the small rear screw..

you can also add a piece of paper or business card under the front of the receiver near the front screw to raise the action when it's bolted in just to see if this resolves the issue.

bolt is not hitting
bolts are not too long
when I drop the action in, the 3 bolts go in straight and easily.
I'll try the business card under the front screw area next
The action does seem to rock back and forth in the stock now

jglenn

assume you have tried it in your old stock just for giggles

yes..same issue. this is making me crazy.

Put a business card under the front bolt. no change
oh yea...
even with the action out of the stock, the trigger pull is not consistent but not as far off as it is bolted in

something is not right her

Last edited:

tommyjoe

700 trigger

Lay the action in the stock. Lightly snug the screws. Then start tightening them one turn at a time while checking the trigger pull in between turns. this should give a clue where it is drawing the action down too tight You may have to shim the stock on the screw that is causing the problem.
Tom

Jester896

Senior Clown
I seem to remember once I did have a problem installing a Jewell trigger in my 700P. It was rubbing ever so slightly on the trigger guard. It really changed the trigger pull weight too. Once I opened it up the extra trigger pull when assembled went away. It had a DM system in it not ADL tho

just another thought

wareagle700

Sounds like the trigger is contacting the stock somewhere or the action is flexing. Shims aren't the answer, you need to make certain there is plenty of clearance around the trigger and then a stress free bedding job should fix any issues.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

The shims don't seem to help.
I've bolted the action in and am getting 4 lbs pull now

The bedding is clear. I can slide a business card up all the way to the recoil lug.
This is making me crazy. If I can't figure this out, I doubt anyone can

Jester
I put the old stock back on. Same problem.
This is pure madness

NEWS FLASH
I took the action out and set the thing down and measured the trigger pull several times in a row
1. 2.2 lbs
2. 3.8 lbs
3. 5.6 lbs
4. 4.8 lbs
5. 5.8 lbs
6. 3.1 lbs
7. 7.5 lbs

LOL

It seems gentlemen that I've been chasing my tail and accidentally leading us all on.

Its the trigger itself. the stock is not the issue it seems. The changes seem to be inside the trigger assembly.

I need another one or take this apart and find what is floating around inside it.
Sorry

Last edited: