Remington 783 Review

Knotwild

I was looking for a .223 bolt gun that would have a threaded barrel, be accurate and not break the bank. And, I don't mean to offend, but my preferences don't run Savage. Tikkas were my first choice, but it's hard to find a threaded one, didn't feel like another 700 or 600, and then I saw an ad for a Remington 783, 16.5" barrel, threaded muzzle, and built with a barrel nut. All for under $350. I did a little research and one custom gunsmith has played with the action and found it to be very true from the factory. So, I ordered one. It has a 9 twist barrel.

The stock is very flimsy, but Boyds makes various laminated stocks very reasonable. I did a light barrel break in and got some groups around 1.5" or so. Brought it in free floated the barrel,and lightened the adjustable trigger. I also noticed the action sits on aluminum pillars.

I took it back out to the bench and shot it with some handloads I use in my AR - 55 gr. Varmageddons, factory 55 gr. Federal soft points, 62 gr Federal MSR Fusion, and some Barnes 55 gr. TSX (Had one called flier omitted).

4 loads, 3 shots each.............and the average of 12 shots was.............0.723. Smallest group was 0.407 withe Federal soft points, and largest was with my Varmageddon AR load.

So, I took it back in the house and JB Welded two carbon fiber arrow shafts in the forearm to stiffen it and lightened the trigger some more. Ican't wait to try tailoring some reloads for it. Action looks like it should be very stiff and it uses bolt heads which can be changed out like Savages. I also see now that MTD makes a chassis for it, but I really wish KRG would come out with their chassis for it. Pacific Tool & Gauge makes bottom metal using Accuracy International magazines. Who knows where this may lead!

Targest Resized.jpgRifle 1 Resized.jpg

Last edited:

Knotwild

Thanks for the compliment. I by no means mean that it is a .4 rifle consistently, but it sure shows promise. Biggest challenge now is to NOT make a $340 rifle cost $1000 with upgrades!

That is a Leica 2x10x50. Eurooptic had a big sale on them last year about this time. I got it for less than $600 with a ballistic reticule. The only mistake I made was not buying a second or one of the higher magnification models. It was the only scope I had that wasn't mounted and I will probably wind up with a 2.5x8 Leupold when I find a deal.

Jester896

Senior Clown
should run 75s over a good dose of CFE223 or BL-C(2) pretty good too for bigger varmints.

lonewolf247

Thanks for the compliment. I by no means mean that it is a .4 rifle consistently, but it sure shows promise. Biggest challenge now is to NOT make a $340 rifle cost $1000 with upgrades!

That is a Leica 2x10x50. Eurooptic had a big sale on them last year about this time. I got it for less than $600 with a ballistic reticule. The only mistake I made was not buying a second or one of the higher magnification models. It was the only scope I had that wasn't mounted and I will probably wind up with a 2.5x8 Leupold when I find a deal.
You rascal you! ;) I almost bought that same scope when they were running that sale as well! I just couldn't quite do it, being I didn't need a scope. I have a Meopta and a Swarovski sitting in a box now. It was a great deal on the Leica though!(y)

Knotwild

should run 75s over a good dose of CFE223 or BL-C(2) pretty good too for bigger varmints.

I might try that. But I am at sea level with a 16.5" barrel and I might not be able to get the velocity I need to make it work. I am going to try to work up a load with 55gr Varmageddons since I have plenty on hand.

Knotwild

You rascal you! ;) I almost bought that same scope when they were running that sale as well! I just couldn't quite do it, being I didn't need a scope.

I didn't really need one either, but I didn't think I would ever see those prices again. I didn't need the FNS Compact 40 I bought from them either, but I didn't think I would see them for $339 again either.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I might try that. But I am at sea level with a 16.5" barrel and I might not be able to get the velocity I need to make it work. I am going to try to work up a load with 55gr Varmageddons since I have plenty on hand.
i'm only 400'ASL

Blackston

I'd like to see pics of what you did with carbon fiber ?