Removing pipe clamps from pipe

SarahFair

A few weeks ago I posted about that split turquoise table that needed to be glued and clamped.
Well I didnt want to pay $40+ for new clamps so I waited till I found something better.

Low and behold I was at an estate sale this past weekend and there sat some pipe clamps.
$3, I win.
But I did have to purchase a new pipe because this one was not long enough.

Now Im trying to figure out how to get it off the old pipe.
It looks as though there is a nail driven through the outside of the stationary part of the clamp and into the pipe.

I cant figure a way to get that nail out.
Any tips or tricks?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
A few weeks ago I posted about that split turquoise table that needed to be glued and clamped.
Well I didnt want to pay $40+ for new clamps so I waited till I found something better.

Low and behold I was at an estate sale this past weekend and there sat some pipe clamps.
$3, I win.
But I did have to purchase a new pipe because this one was not long enough.

Now Im trying to figure out how to get it off the old pipe.
It looks as though there is a nail driven through the outside of the stationary part of the clamp and into the pipe.

I cant figure a way to get that nail out.
Any tips or tricks?
Post a pic. It would help identify the type of nail etc...
Does the nail have a head on it?
Does it go thru both sides of pipe and clamp?

T-N-T

If you cant pull it, can you get the head cut off? Ground off?
Then drive it through?

SarahFair

If you cant pull it, can you get the head cut off? Ground off?
Then drive it through?
Maybe I can file it if the file will fit down the pipe.

The nail has a head flush with the clamp.
I haven't found something flat and small enough to stick down the pipe yet to try and reverse it.

My kid cleaned the room it was in before going to a friend's.
When i find where he put the clamp I'll take a picture. :rolleyes:

T-N-T

Also you can get a sharp nail and hammer. Tap a divot into the center of the nail head. Then take a drill bit the same size or barely smaller than the nail, and drill it out.
Most nails are soft steel. So they don't break, but rather bend if not driven straight.

SGADawg

It is probably a rivet. I have a set that the pipe was riveted in. Same solution as a nail, grind the head off and knock it out our drill the head off and knock it out. A picture of both sides will help us give you a better answer.

BriarPatch99

Take a roll pin punch of the same size and drive it out with a hammer ... cutting it inside the pipe will not help as the rivet/pin goes through the clamp and the pipe ....