Replacing Boat Trailer Axle???

TomC

I’ve got to replace the axle and both hubs on the Sureride trailer for my little all electric boat. The local dealer said that if they ordered from the trailer mfg ( I’d be looking at $400-$500 in parts/shipping/labor) to replace. Would one of these trailer axle assemblies from Tractor Supply work???

http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search?w=axle&searchButton.x=0&searchButton.y=0

Anybody, replaced an axle before on a trailer. Doesn’t appear that it would be that complicated??

Thanks!
Tom

Attachments

• P1010830.JPG
    P1010830.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 671

Casey81

As long as the center pins on the axle and the springs match up and it is the right rating you are good to go. I am looking at one at Northern and TSC to replace the one under my trailer right now. We had a failed attempt at replacing a spindle this weekend and I am not about to try to cut it off again.

Todd71673

I replaced mine last year with one from West Marine off of Friendship Rd by Lanier. Axle and hubs was about $140 for the smallest jon boat set-up. Pin holes were not there so I carefully drilled my own. I did have to order and wait awhile to get the axle. Make sure you write your measurements down to make ordering easy.

Attachments

• 100_0191.jpg
    100_0191.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 653
  • 100_0192.jpg
    100_0192.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 641

wncslim

Changed mine from a single to a dual axle and bought all new axles, galv. hubs, fenders, tires , springs and had $1000 in it, no big deal putting it together and beats $4500 for a new one. Bought parts from original Mfg. through a trailer place in Asheville, they wouldn't sell direct.

TomC

Thanks....I don't think the tractor supply option will work as my axle is square tubing and the one at tractor supply is round. Any other local suggestions as I guess I'll need to start calling around.

greg_n_clayton

I replace one from TSC a few yrs back. The center of the spring pins do have to be the same. But....the one I used....the distance from the center of the pin to the back of the hub was different. The old one was farther away than the new one. It worked, but you could see the difference in relation to the fenders.

Casey81

Thanks....I don't think the tractor supply option will work as my axle is square tubing and the one at tractor supply is round. Any other local suggestions as I guess I'll need to start calling around.

No problems switching from square to round tube. You need to replace U-bolts anyway so you just get round instead of square U-bolts.

MerkyWaters

I have a Cajun Bass Boat 15' and it too had square hollow tubing for the axle and I believe the weight of the boat bent it cause my tires were wearing very uneven! I replaced my old axle last year with a new axle from Northern Tool in Marietta. They had the best price. I believe I spent about $70 on the axle and bought two new plates for the u bolts from the leaf spring to mount to and had them welded on. It has worked great all year long! Bought new tires when I installed the new axle. The tires are wearing even!

Like others say key is to measure your existing axle. Here is a link to better explain the way to measure.
http://www.boattrailerservice.com/shop/MEASUREMENTS-NEEDED-TO-REPLACE-YOUR-AXLE-and-HUB/
I did not compensate that I was changing my factory wheels out to a set of four lug wheels and the offset of the wheel was a little different and now I have to re-do the fender! Good luck and post when you get done!

Monti61

X2 on Dexter Axle. They send trailer loads of axle's out everyday. All these other places get theirs from Dexter

TomC

Is there a retail outlet for Dexter in Monticello? If so I might just take the old axle off and drive down there with it and get a new one. This way they would know exactly what I need in terms of measurements. Thanks for all the input!
Tom

Monti61

Yes. I have been getting axle's and part there for years. They'll sell you a bearing or a load of axle's. Good friendly bunch

PASSBOY

Tom,

I can help you out with this, I build trailers on the side, can get axles hub's etc. right. You should be able to get an axle for less than $300 with new hub's and even spring's (Dexter Too) I sent you a PM with my contact.

TomC

Called Dexter and it looks like they will be able to help me out. Appreciate all the info.

TomC

Coming back for a recent trip the end cap came off, all the grease came out of the hub, friction, more friction, yada yada yada. I was hoping I could just replace the one hub but apparently it damaged the axle as well. Very happy to find out about Dexter. They were real nice on the phone and said that if I brought the old one they could measure and build me one to match. Their axles are round tube and there is more than just replacing with U bolts if you go from a square tube to round tube axle. A mounting plate has to be welded if you switch from square to round but they said they could do this also.