Requesting In-the-field First Aid advice??...

MoeBirds

Fortunately I haven't had any major injuries yet::; !!

I underlined yet since with as much hunting I'm doing per season guiding quail-hunters, I'm certain my luck will eventually run out:( !?

I carry the basic vet recomended first-aid-kit for dogs but was looking for that other item I need , but don't know I'll need it till the incident:huh: !?

I'm thinking of chucking the one I've used though, since it's sort of cluttered and dated, and buying about 6 of those Sporting Dogs first-aid-kits for all our buggies !?

I've read many tid-bits of advice in Gun Dog, Shooting Sportsman, Greys etc.
Yet I'm getting a lot of product-placement mixed in with the advice, and was simply looking for "valuable feedback" by those who may have experienced injuries in-the-field and how you handled the situation ?!

Has anyone ever used EMT gel ???, if so please share how you applied it to the wound w/ wrap info etc.

mikeybdman

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this, so you are probably as prepared as you can get. If you dont have dog muzzles, make sure u have one readily avalable. It is good practice to muzzle a wounded animal to do what you have to, then the muzzle can come off.
I did get bit by one of my dogs while trying to help them. I could tell they felt bad about it, but they were scared, and just reacted.
You sound like you care a ton for your animals, and will probably do a great job if the worst happens.

mikeybdman

I am sure that you already know, but for those who may be reading, always have your dogs dew claws removed if they will be hunting or around woods to romp in. Dogs have been lost to having one tear and bleed out.
If this is not done when they are a puppy, have it done when u get your animal fixed. The fee becomes minimal if the animal is already being put to sleep.
If you have one that still has dews. ALWAYS check their paws when they come out of the woods, and keep them trimmed to avoid unwanted snags.

Michael

EMT gel is great stuff. That's about the only first aid gear I carry. I've even used it on myself. One other piece of advice, when that day come when one of your dogs gets shot, after regaining your composure, don't worry about driving 90-100 mph to your vet. Besides antibiotic, there really isn't anything he can do.

MoeBirds

mikeybdman said:
Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this, so you are probably as prepared as you can get. If you dont have dog muzzles, make sure u have one readily avalable. It is good practice to muzzle a wounded animal to do what you have to, then the muzzle can come off.
I did get bit by one of my dogs while trying to help them. I could tell they felt bad about it, but they were scared, and just reacted.
You sound like you care a ton for your animals, and will probably do a great job if the worst happens.

Thanks for the muzzle idea:clap: !!

I'd always heard you can use some of the gauze-bandages to rig a muzzle in the event of injury to avoid another (you).
However, it makes more sense to me now, after reading your post, that I'll just purchase six muzzles (one for each bag/buggy). Since it'd be a lot quicker I'd imagine to slip one of those on, than trying to tie their mouth shut :eek: !?

Thanks again:) !!

:type: Exactly the kind of thing I was refering to that probably will save me a step in the field when the time arises !!!

MoeBirds

Michael said:
EMT gel is great stuff. That's about the only first aid gear I carry. I've even used it on myself. One other piece of advice, when that day come when one of your dogs gets shot, after regaining your composure, don't worry about driving 90-100 mph to your vet. Besides antibiotic, there really isn't anything he can do.

This is the "injury" I fear the most:( !!??

I haven't had a mishap yet, though I "hear" of them often.

I'm extremely safety concious in the field and don't allow any foolish shots. I never have to duck, like I see guys do on TV all the time:eek: ?!
That's a guide that's let himself get out in front of the guns trying to kick-up birds.
I educate the fellas on how to shoot birds and never allow low shots, often yelling "no shot" !!

But it never fails, someone will take it anyway:banginghe !?

Nature of the business. If I'm hunting with dogs whom are not steady-to-wing-and-shot (which is likely, since Plantations have so many dogs and the best ones are few and far between) I'll usually tell the fellas this dog may get out in-front of us on the flush so be extra careful !!

The guys I have the most trouble with usually aren't the novice hunters who usually follow my direction, it's the seasoned fella who's been to every lodge in the country and knows all and tells all he knows it :rolleyes: !?

It is likely however that eventually a dog will be shot, either on my hunt or that of another guide :( !? Since we hunt almost every day for six months straight with the most diverse group of hunters imaginable.

Thanks for the advice about how to react, I'll try to remember it in the heat of the moment :eek: !?

Gonna grab a few tubes of that gel also :cheers: !!