resetting after catch

Cool Hand Luke

Targeting yotes. After catching a coon or possum, from your experience, is it better to move set or resetting in same spot ok?

mossyoakpro

Some coyotes are spooked of a catch circle and some are not...I straighten out the circle as best I can and reset. Watch the coyote tracks...if they do not want to venture into the circle then put another set on the edge. I have personally caught in this order...coon, possum, fox, bobcat, coyote....all from the same set. And on another I have had to set on the edge or move all together because the coyotes were scared of the circle...they are funny critters but that's what makes it so fun!!

Tight chains!!

Cool Hand Luke

Thanks MOP. I know every situation is different but know I have yotes traveling this particular location frequently.

Mark K

Banned
I can’t help you on the coyotes. I did catch a cat, then a coon the next day. And a fox then a cat the next day.
Now that I think about it, nothing after a possum...ever.

oldguy

If you make two sets close to each other (i.e. one dirt hole - one flat or urine post) you'll always have a trap waiting. I ain't never doubled on possums! I'd move just outside the circle. Had a field corner one time where I caught 5 different 'yotes. Place looked like a bombing range w/all the circles!

Cool Hand Luke

Thanks guys. Would you change out trap or just reset existing one? If non-target gets caught first, ever had a yote come into nearby set?

furtaker

Thanks guys. Would you change out trap or just reset existing one? If non-target gets caught first, ever had a yote come into nearby set?
You can use the same trap since it smells like the catch circle. It's a good idea to scrub off any blood that might be on it though.
Maybe I just have some super wary coyotes but I never have any luck with coyotes on remakes. They seem to avoid them like the plague.

oldguy

I carry a small wire brush and use that to clean the trap up inside the catch circle. Then rub it off with clean dirt. Like I said above that one field corner produced 5 over a period of a couple of weeks. A good spot is a good spot and it's not unusual to catch other critters near a catch circle. If a spot is good enough for one trap it's good enough for two - and maybe 3! You won't know if you don't try.

oldguy

Cruising a county dirt road with my head out the window studying tracks (y'all do that?) last week, I saw a fist sized rock with a gray fox dropping on it. Right in the road. Critters'll mark a rock.
Most interesting thing I've seen 'em mark is lunch litter left by logging crew (potato chip bag, drink can, paper sack, etc.). Picking up litter in front of our house my hands end up smelling like red fox. Just letting me know he's around :).
One of these days I'm gonna' use a rusty old trap as an attracter at a flat set with a dropping or urine...!

Mark K

Banned
Cruising a county dirt road with my head out the window studying tracks (y'all do that?) last week, I saw a fist sized rock with a gray fox dropping on it. Right in the road. Critters'll mark a rock.
Most interesting thing I've seen 'em mark is lunch litter left by logging crew (potato chip bag, drink can, paper sack, etc.). Picking up litter in front of our house my hands end up smelling like red fox. Just letting me know he's around :).
One of these days I'm gonna' use a rusty old trap as an attracter at a flat set with a dropping or urine...!

Interesting...my buddy recently mentioned that he went back to set his traps after tripping them last weekend, and there was a big ole pile of coyote scat next to one of them and swears it smelled of urine. He said that coyote was taunting him, lol.