Resizing Bulk .223

tad1

So I have around 500 clean, deprimed, 1x fired, mixed headstamp brass. I have a dillon 550 progressive reloader and was wanting to do some bulk reloading. My main interest is having safe ammo that will cycle through AR without issue, I'm not particularly concerned with accuracy here. I was wondering about the need for trimming cases. I'm not excited about running these through the full length resizing die on a progressive press and then having to check every one to see if trimming is necessary. Otherwise it seems like Im turning a progressive reloader into single stage loading (resizing, trimming, chamfering case mouths, etc.)
Anyone with experience in this area let me know your thoughts.
Thanks, JT.

bullgator

If it’s truly once fired you should be ok not trimming. Measure a few just to check.
If you have any military brass you will likely need to take the primer crimp out. Even if they claim to have already done it.

transfixer

I would probably randomly check a few after sizing, if you have any that require extra effort sizing, those might be worth checking, if truly once fired as mentioned, you're probably fine. I would try and separate them into like headstamps though, especially before crimping, as there could be differences in length, even though they might still be below max oal.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I never crimp mine and have never had a problem. I reload with an XL-650

Attachments

• dillon XL-650.jpg
    dillon XL-650.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 11

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't normally size on mine. I put a Dillon de-capping die in the first position to make sure flash hole doesn't have debris (media).

I size and trim mine on a 1050

JeffinPTC

When you get to 3rd fired and if you decide to buy a Forster Trimmer, trim before sizing. After I run 223 (only) thru my Dillon dies, the Forster pilot will not go into the 223 neck. 30-06 etc go in OK.
Maybe some day I'll buy a 650 with the trimmer, but haven't been eager since all the tool heads need to be replaced also.

WishboneW

I just got through doing 439 of a 500 round bag. You will find cases that need to be trimmed and some that are damaged such as gouges in the necks. Inspect carefully each

Jester896

Senior Clown
the next firing will fix some of those little marks in cases. I can fix cases that the necks gouged on ...I cut the neck off and make it 300BLK

ppelaez

Similar situation here. Want to reload plinking ammo in bulk on a Dillon 550. I invested in an RCBS X-Sizer die. The idea is you trim your cases one time and one time only. The X-Sizer die prevents the case from growing beyond a certain length.

Jester896

Senior Clown
So I have around 500 clean, deprimed, 1x fired, mixed headstamp brass. I have a dillon 550 progressive reloader and was wanting to do some bulk reloading. My main interest is having safe ammo that will cycle through AR without issue, I'm not particularly concerned with accuracy here. I was wondering about the need for trimming cases. I'm not excited about running these through the full length resizing die on a progressive press and then having to check every one to see if trimming is necessary. Otherwise it seems like Im turning a progressive reloader into single stage loading (resizing, trimming, chamfering case mouths, etc.)
Anyone with experience in this area let me know your thoughts.
Thanks, JT.

He is making AR plinking ammo not bolt gun ammo

23 days into it...
just send me your 500 and I will replace them with 500 that the shoulders have been bumped back to -.001 with a Dillon SB carbide die, primer pocket swagged, trimmed, then neck sized again.

tad1

Quick thread update on how I decided to proceed:
I FL resized each case then got absolutely fed up with my Lyman case trimmer and after plenty of time-wasting research I called and ordered a Giraud Tri Way trimmer. It is similar to their bench top units in that the device trims, chamfers, and deburrs all in one action. I received the trimmer a week or so later. So I chucked my hand drill in a vise, chucked the trimmer in the drill, and proceeded to trim 500 or so cases. So a couple hours and a blistered finger later, I have a bin of beautifully prepped and ready to load cases. I didn't see a good way around all this labor intensive operations but possibly on the next loading I will be able to avoid the trimming as I did trim them all just
A wee touch on the short side of spec.

doomtrpr_z71

Quick thread update on how I decided to proceed:
I FL resized each case then got absolutely fed up with my Lyman case trimmer and after plenty of time-wasting research I called and ordered a Giraud Tri Way trimmer. It is similar to their bench top units in that the device trims, chamfers, and deburrs all in one action. I received the trimmer a week or so later. So I chucked my hand drill in a vise, chucked the trimmer in the drill, and proceeded to trim 500 or so cases. So a couple hours and a blistered finger later, I have a bin of beautifully prepped and ready to load cases. I didn't see a good way around all this labor intensive operations but possibly on the next loading I will be able to avoid the trimming as I did trim them all just
A wee touch on the short side of spec.
If its once fired it shouldnt need a trim, I dont trim with my loadmaster, I just run a RCBS Xdie.