Revivals?

G

Gator1679

The revival dates thread got me thinking tonight.
And, I don't want to tick anyone off, but want your feedback on the purpose of your revivals at your churches.
I used to preach several revivals a year, but saw the same thing pretty much at many of the churches I spoke at: You see a good bit of the church members there, but very few if any visitors. To me I always thought most churches had revivals as an evangelistic outreach tool to try and reach thier communities. But if the community wasn't coming out-- than are you on purpose? I would see the church members get fired up for the week long event, then they would go back to their normal services the next week and you wouldn't know anything had happened. (ie. it was a good emotional week, but emotions don't carry you very far)
The church that i have worked at for the last 6 years as youth Pastor doesnt have yearly weeklong revivals. Haven't in 13 years. For our church, we better be having revival every week!
We still have a weeklong youth crusade in the summer where we reach around 2000 students per week. IT is still on purpose for us and is getting the community out to be a part of our church family.

So I guess my question is-- What is the purpose of your revivals at your churches and are you hitting the target?

Tn_Extreme

Banned
Revivals are for the saved first....then the lost. If the saved church members dont stay revived and living for God you wont see many saved within the church.

SBG

At our Church we have revival meetings...usually starting Sunday night and culminating Wednesday night. They are aimed at the Church members and cover a lot of different issues.

We also have gospel meetings, and these run as long as the Lord leads. usually they last a week, but I have seen them go three. This is the meetings that we try and evangelize the lost...above and beyond our normal soul-winning.

Dana Young

As has been said the revival service is for the saved and is designed to recharge their will to do service for the Lord while some people do get saved during Revival services it is intended to lift the saved back to that will to live their lives as Jesus did. I agree every service should be a revival service, But unfortunately that is not always the case.

Dudley Do-Wrong

Most revivals I have been to have an invitation, so I don't see it as something for "just the saved". I've seen many folks saved at a revival.

But, as it was explained to me, one of the primary functions of a revival is to revive the members of that church.

PWalls

I agree. Revival is to get the church-goers out of a lukewarm state and back into high gear. Invitations are always presented in case there are guests/lost in the audience. But, primarily for the saved.