Ridiculousness

zedex

Gator Bait
I'm a witness at a court hearing today. Court starts at 9:30. There are no other businesses in the area.

I drop my daughter off to school at 8:40 then head to the house to grab documents and finish getting ready. I leave the house and get to courthouse at 9:15 or so.

Case begins on time and stops for a break at 11:00. I step outside and find 2 parking tickets on my truck.

One is written at 9:38, the other at 9:40. Both same offense, same officer, same fine amount. I call city hall and tell the lady what happened and asked why. She said the tickets are for not paying to park. I tell her I did pay and paid the proper amount, the receipt is on my dash panel in plain view.

Now I have to go to city hall and show the tickets and parking receipt after court.

One ticket, I understand for a mistake. Two tickets, 2 minutes apart????

I'm just a wee bit ticked off right now

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Stupidity abounds!

Lilly001

Most parking enforcement officers are not real Cops.
Many areas use civilians.

GoldDot40

Most parking enforcement officers are not real Cops.
Many areas use civilians.
Yep...in downtown Athens they use a private company for meter maids. Repeat offenders or people who don't pay get a boot on their wheel when if they come around again. The BOOT itself is owned by the county. If you tamper with it...it's a felony.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I'm a witness at a court hearing today. Court starts at 9:30. There are no other businesses in the area.

I drop my daughter off to school at 8:40 then head to the house to grab documents and finish getting ready. I leave the house and get to courthouse at 9:15 or so.

Case begins on time and stops for a break at 11:00. I step outside and find 2 parking tickets on my truck.

One is written at 9:38, the other at 9:40. Both same offense, same officer, same fine amount. I call city hall and tell the lady what happened and asked why. She said the tickets are for not paying to park. I tell her I did pay and paid the proper amount, the receipt is on my dash panel in plain view.

Now I have to go to city hall and show the tickets and parking receipt after court.

One ticket, I understand for a mistake. Two tickets, 2 minutes apart????

I'm just a wee bit ticked off right now
I'd be just a wee bit ticked off too.

zedex

Gator Bait
I went down to city hall and presented my receipts for parking and the tickets. The receipts showed that from 9:17am through 4:06pm, every minute of the time frame was accounted for.

The lady there said that the tickets should not have been written.

When I asked about two tickets within 2 minutes, she said that each minute is a violation and though it's never happened and would mostly be tossed out of court, technically the parking agent could write a ticket per minute for the same vehicle.. the other lady behind the counter chimed in that unlike most places, a single parking violation can be written multiple times, whereas other places issue a ticket per violation.

That was an eye opener. Seems very unfair, particularly when parking in places where you could be away from the vehicle for an undetermined amount of time-- courthouse, hospital, dr office.....

The outcome of today is the tickets issued have been disposed of.

zedex

Gator Bait
Yep...in downtown Athens they use a private company for meter maids. Repeat offenders or people who don't pay get a boot on their wheel when if they come around again. The BOOT itself is owned by the county. If you tamper with it...it's a felony.
We have a private agency as well as city agency. Dealing with the city was simple and straightforward. The fines weren't too bad at $35 each ticket, $24 if paid in 14 days and 25% additional if paid after 28 days -- serious interest. I'm glad they canceled the tickets

skiff20

Several years ago I got a parking ticket in Athens for parking in a loading zone. I went down to their Parking office to plead my case and as I went in the front door there was a sign telling how much each offence would cost. I was reading the sign a discovered that you could park in a loading zone and the fine was 50 dollars. You could park on the sidewalk and the fine was only 40 dollars. Should have parked on the sidewalk.

zedex

Gator Bait
Several years ago I got a parking ticket in Athens for parking in a loading zone. I went down to their Parking office to plead my case and as I went in the front door there was a sign telling how much each offence would cost. I was reading the sign a discovered that you could park in a loading zone and the fine was 50 dollars. You could park on the sidewalk and the fine was only 40 dollars. Should have parked on the sidewalk.
Gotta love the logic

gunnurse

I am blisteringly intoxicated and think that all of this is o.k. Help me.

Lilly001

I am blisteringly intoxicated and think that all of this is o.k. Help me.
Have one for me.
I long for the days when I could have one without paying for it all night.:cheers: