RIFLE or HANDGUN

Bobhica

:huh:Alright, I need a very honest opinion regarding my next purchase. I've really gotten into bow hunting and I love it, but I want to purchase a deer/hog/varmint gun. With little fundage, would you recommend a rifle or a handgun? I'm leaning towards a rifle, but I wouldn't mind lugging around a nice revolver either.:confused:

contender*

One word, Contender, that's all I've got to say about that.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Cleankill47

I would say a .270 bolt-action rifle would suit just about anything in your chosen categories. If you really want a handgun, you can't go wrong with a comfortable, 6" barrelled .357 mag revolver.

Handguns are more difficult and slower to deploy if you have not had lots of practice. You can set up a handgun to be about as easy to use as a rifle, but it takes more time to settle in for the shot and with a scope and long barrel it will be as or more cumbersome to tote. It will be more expensive as well.
The practical solution is a .243 or .260 with a 20" barrel. If you get a single shot, get a longer barrel for an equivalent overall length.

I wonder how a lever action carbine in .25-35 with an aperture sight would work for such an application.

Bobhica

Thanks guys! The problem now is finding a really good deal on a rifle. I think I'm liking the idea of a NEF Handi-Rifle in 270 or 308, but I would also like the convenience of an affordable bolt action. We'll see I guess.

seaweaver

and with a scope

I notice a lot of hand gunners here use them...
I was shooting my in laws .41m RBH w/ iron sights and grouping 4" at 50yards, he does better. I don't shoot my .44 at range...cuz I never seem to have it at the range and my hog shots are very close. I suspect w/ range time I could accurately make kill shots at 80. InLaw can at 80+ but that .41 is sweet. I think a scope would for my purposes and a beginner...a detraction.
Bob pistols are fun, but as you include varmints in your parameters I think as Rob states the rifle will suit better. The longer sights do allow quicker target acquisition on a fast moving critter. The .44 I suggested will take varmints....but leave a mess.
The other option could be the .357M in Marlin. The web is full of guys shooting deer out to 150....but that might be a stretch for most of us. I have not killed/shot a hog w/ mine yet but I'm sure at the ranges I shoot at (-50) it would not be a problem. Feeding it .38 spl for varmints and plinking would be great.
If your were to get a pistol, and your ranges are not great, I would not scope it. It is nice to stalk the woods w/ both hands free and a clean non-scoped pistol.
Achery used to be about simplicity. I think sometimes no matter what our choice of weapon we get carried away till the simplicity
( and skill) part is forgotten.
cw

R

redneckcamo

shoot mann get ya a good ole 44mag lever action an put ya a 2-7 scope on it an you will be set !!!

abrannon

Check out Barrow Automotive in Butler. They have the Marlin MR7 Bolt action in .270, 30.06 and .25.06

Last week they were $299.00

By the way don't over look the 25.06, it will fill you needs nicely.

.30-.30

Dont forget the under rated and under respected .30-.30 winchester.They are pretty common and deliver the goods out past where most folks can hit a deer offhand.If you handload and dont mind using a lever gun like a single shot,you can put together some potent varmint rounds with 110 or 130 grain bullets.Better yet if you get into casting your own bullets you can make fun plinking ammo dirt cheap.The velocity for the .30-.30 puts it in the 2200 fps or less range which is perfect for cast lead slugs.Just my two cents.Goodluck!