Rimfire guns

HardCoreHunter

I want to start predator hunting, for that I need a rimfire rifle. With the .17's coming out there is alot to choose from, and I'm lost. The main thing I want is nock down power. If I have a coyote come in to the calling I want to be able to get him.

duckbill

Might want to look at that new .204Ruger. That looks like a neat varmit cartridge. Of course there are numerous .22 caliber options also.

GeauxLSU

.22 mag.
Though I like all the new cartridges out there, when you consider performance, price and availability of cartrdiges, it's hard to compete with old faithful.
I'd never use a .17 at yote sized varmits. Actually I'd never use it on anything bigger than squirrels and crows.
If you just want something for coyotes here in GA, you're obviously not limited to rim fire. My .22-250 is my yote gun. :cool: :shoot:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Larry Rooks

The 22 mag or 17 HMR will serve the purpose. I have both and sort of like the 17 better. I have used it for coyote and fox and it has worked great for me

Loafy

The .17 HMR is the .22 magnum case necked down to hold a .17 bullet. rimfire

The .17 mach2 is a .22 long rifle case necked down to hold a .17 bullet. rimfire

The .17 Remington.... might be wrong on this one but I think it is a .223 case necked down to .17. centerfire.

TO be legal for fox and bobcat as well as coyote ready the only real choiced in my mind are the .22 magnum and .17 HMR.

Handgunner

I've never been coyote hunting, but we've been hearing a ton of them lately around here, and been seeing bobcats out the wah-zoo...

After deer season it's time to break out the cottontail in distress and the .22mag...

And if nothing happens with that, I'm going to break out the old Winchester single shot .22lr, pull up a big oak tree during the middle of the day and take out some bushytails. :D

Randy

None of the rimfires are enough for coyotes consistantly. Yes they have been killed with them but it is the same as shooting deer wiht a 22-250. It just ain't enough. There is a good article on this very subject in this months Predator Extreme magazine.

CAL

I agree with Randy on this one.A 223 at times isn't enough unless you have good shot placement!I like a clean kill even on a coyote.