Rock Piles

Bigga Trust

I posted another thread about Yucca plants but have been wondering about the rock piles around the Yucca plants. There are approximately 10 7x7 rock piles that face west and north west on the top side of a slope that goes down to a spring.

Was this an old home site? Farmers rock piles? Native burial site.

I am in Putnam county about five miles from Rock Hawk (the smaller site)

Attachments

• IMG_0526 (1).JPG
    IMG_0526 (1).JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 168

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Probably either piles of rocks that a farmer pulled out of his fields, or cairns made by Indians.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I'd like to know also ... Got rock piles all around here in the woods. Also I have a distinct rock wall about 2 ft high and 15 ft long in the middle of a hardwood ridge. I'm close to pickets mill battle field.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to know also ... Got rock piles all around here in the woods. Also I have a distinct rock wall about 2 ft high and 15 ft long in the middle of a hardwood ridge. I'm close to pickets mill battle field.
There are scads of rock walls and rock piles around here just from people getting rocks out of their fields every year.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
There are scads of rock walls and rock piles around here just from people getting rocks out of their fields every year.
Understood, the Wall I'm speaking of is clearly ment to be a wall. On the north side of the wall there is a 2 to 3 ft ditch right along the wall.

Hillbilly stalker

I know where some rock ( white Quartz ) walls like that are that are definetly battle positions. They are on a steep hillside overlooking a creek bottom where people would have traveled before all the roads. I don't know if there from the Revolutionary war or war of Northern Aggression. They have walls to protect their flank also. Ill get pics.

Artfuldodger

I wouldn't think a farmer would go to the trouble to build a short wall just to get rocks out of his field or garden. Not unless it was for erosion control, then he might build a short wall.

Artfuldodger

I posted another thread about Yucca plants but have been wondering about the rock piles around the Yucca plants. There are approximately 10 7x7 rock piles that face west and north west on the top side of a slope that goes down to a spring.

The rock quarries where the Indians gathered the rocks for the effigies, were they loose? I'm thinking there my be little spots of rocks like in your pics all through Middle Georgia.

I've seen little piles of rocks all over in the woods of Middle Georgia. I just thought nature may have put them there. Maybe erosion uncovered them years ago.

little rascal

I used to hunt in Hancock County above Sparta, we had rockpiles, some said they were slave graves and they started talking about Haint's! There were old growed up home places all over and the land manager said there were even mounds as in Indian's that treasure hunters dug to pieces looking for stuff.
That place was a little spooky at dark. One guy was walking up an old woods road one evening and said he heard something that was walking in the woods adjacent to him. Said he could hear foot steps in the leaves and when he would stop it would stop etc. Somebody said it was a big cat following him??? Dunno, but that place was spooky.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Lots of granite in that section of the Piedmont. I bet you aren’t far from the community named Rockville.
I hunt a place in South Putnam near the lake. There are several large exposed granite areas. A good bit of that yucca stuff too. Maybe it likes rocky areas to grow??

Artfuldodger

One other thought I had was that the bird effigies are all white quartz. We pretty much know those and a few other rock piles in your area were made before the Europeans came.

Considering that, I read where someone had piles of just white quartz rocks on his property. I'm not sure what your rock piles are made of. If they came from the fields, would they all be the same type of rock? I guess they could but would probably be quarts and granite in Putnam County.

So were they carried there from an exposed area of white quartz to make cairns or piled up by a farmer clearing a field?

It's one of those age old questions. Archeologist can't even decide.

Artfuldodger

Lots of granite in that section of the Piedmont. I bet you aren’t far from the community named Rockville.
I hunt a place in South Putnam near the lake. There are several large exposed granite areas. A good bit of that yucca stuff too. Maybe it likes rocky areas to grow??

That area between Putnam County, Hancock, Warren, McDuffie, Washington, Columbia and Lincoln County has some interesting geology.

Lot's of Granite, quartz, gold, and amethyst in the area. Ivey Farm in Warren County. Jackson's Crossroads in Washington County. Graves Mountain in Lincoln County.

I heard the same granite that pops up around Sparta and also in Columbia County is the same vein as Stone Mountain.

Bigga Trust

That area between Putnam County, Hancock, Warren, McDuffie, Washington, Columbia and Lincoln County has some interesting geology.

Lot's of Granite, quartz, gold, and amethyst in the area. Ivey Farm in Warren County. Jackson's Crossroads in Washington County. Graves Mountain in Lincoln County.

I heard the same granite that pops up around Sparta and also in Columbia County is the same vein as Stone Mountain.
That link that had the Rockpile blog spot had pictures that were very similar to one ones that I posted.

Twiggbuster

Settlers clearing the land moved many rocks for farming. I would bet many of these rock piled in the piedmont were the result. This was mentioned at a tour of Jarrell Plantation near Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge.
I was always interested in riding thru PWR in the spring. Anywhere they were clusters of blooms, you could look around and find foundation rocks or bricks. Sometimes depressions ( graves) and even wells .

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Take a trip to New England and you will see a lot of rock walls.