Rock Piles

Artfuldodger

That link that had the Rockpile blog spot had pictures that were very similar to one ones that I posted.

Were the rockpiles in you pics all the same type rocks? I can see many of these piles being from farmers even in the Piedmont of Georgia.

The difference is that in your area, we know there was a lot of Indian rock moving activity.

I would think with a little investigation, you might could figure out if the rocks came from the adjacent abandoned field or from a nearby quarry.

Bigga Trust

I don't believe they are all the same but will have to examine closer. They are about 10-15 piles on this slope facing West/West North. Rocks are everywhere. It takes a lot of clearing rock time to make 1/2 acre a food plot.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Take a trip to New England and you will see a lot of rock walls.
Same here until recently. Most of them have been sold to rock masons and carried off and made into rockwork.

westcobbdog

That area between Putnam County, Hancock, Warren, McDuffie, Washington, Columbia and Lincoln County has some interesting geology.

Lot's of Granite, quartz, gold, and amethyst in the area. Ivey Farm in Warren County. Jackson's Crossroads in Washington County. Graves Mountain in Lincoln County.

I heard the same granite that pops up around Sparta and also in Columbia County is the same vein as Stone Mountain.

I looked for Indian artifacts Sat in Hancock and saw many diff kinds and colors of rocks
including dark blue granite, white quartzite and sandstone that had red and yellow in it. Lucked into a few points, too.

Artfuldodger

I looked for Indian artifacts Sat in Hancock and saw many diff kinds and colors of rocks
including dark blue granite, white quartzite and sandstone that had red and yellow in it. Lucked into a few points, too.

Sparta was built on the site of an Indian Trading Post. This was on the Upper Trading Path or Oakfuskee Path.

https://cityofspartaga.org/Assets/Files/Native-American-Trails/Historic Markers Across Georgia_Oakfuskee Path or The Upper Trading Path.pdf

Doesn't look to be directly on the trading post site.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM6K51_The_Upper_Trading_Path

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You are not kidding.

They run from pa to ma.

The whole state of CT is just one big continuous ROCK wall.

Yep. You actually start seeing quite a few in Maryland too. A great use of a permanent natural resource.

j_seph

I posted another thread about Yucca plants but have been wondering about the rock piles around the Yucca plants. There are approximately 10 7x7 rock piles that face west and north west on the top side of a slope that goes down to a spring.

Was this an old home site? Farmers rock piles? Native burial site.

I am in Putnam county about five miles from Rock Hawk (the smaller site)
Go here and take a look back in time as to what it looked like back yonder.

https://www.historicaerials.com/

j_seph

Understood, the Wall I'm speaking of is clearly ment to be a wall. On the north side of the wall there is a 2 to 3 ft ditch right along the wall.
Is that ditch made from water runing over wall, along wall over several years?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't think a farmer would go to the trouble to build a short wall just to get rocks out of his field or garden. Not unless it was for erosion control, then he might build a short wall.
They sure did here. I've helped add to them back in my younger days.

Artfuldodger

They sure did here. I've helped add to them back in my younger days.

I stand corrected, being a "Flatlander," we don't know these things.

When life gives you stones? Build a wall. Farmers pulled these plow-impeding stones from their fields and piled them on the edges. “The farmer’s main interest was his fields,” says Thorson. “The walls are simply a disposal pile. It was routine farm work.” This process was replicated at thousands of farms across the region—a collective act of labor on a glacial scale.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/new-england-stone-walls

specialk

boundary markers maybe too......

Fletch_W

Banned
That's a pretty cool site.

Definitely a cool site. but take the dates with a grain of salt. My subdivision was built in 96/97 but the 1999 aerial photo shows it is still trees. Regardless, I'm still ready to waste days and weeks on this site.