Rock salt and deer

24point

I put out some rock salt yesterday afternoon and today my dad told me that he thinks someone told him before that rock salt will kill deer. Is it ok or should I be getting rid of it quick?

MonroeTaco

Been using rock salt for years. Use to get it for free. It doesn't have trace minerals, but it won't hurt the deer. My friend thinks rock salt is poisonous, but I can't convince him otherwise. Just make sure it's pure rock salt, and not the de-icer with additives, which may be harmful.

We used to put out salt in the spring, but have gotten lazy in recent years. We always dug a hole, poured out a 40-50 lb bag of white or trace-mineralized salt, covered it with a little dirt, then dumped a box of ice cream salt on top of the dirt. The deer would eat dirt and all and find it quick.

Mako22

BANNED
We used to put out salt in the spring, but have gotten lazy in recent years. We always dug a hole, poured out a 40-50 lb bag of white or trace-mineralized salt, covered it with a little dirt, then dumped a box of ice cream salt on top of the dirt. The deer would eat dirt and all and find it quick.
Miss reading your post Deadeye, best poster on GON ever!

PCNative

Seven or eight dollars will buy about 20 pounds of ice cream salt, pour it in a rotten pine stump and you will have a salt lick as big as a bathtub in one season. I believe deer are drawn to it more when they have to paw and dig to get to the salt. Been doing this for over 30 years.

Tadder

We use too hunt a property that i did this on. The deer dug a hole so deep that it looked like they had a hole they hide in. We use too have pic's of half a deer out of the hole going in and another in it with another with its head in it. A medium size deer would go completely out of sight of the cam. We joked about having the deer tunnel when they got hard to find.They love salt.