Rookie Mistake

GrayG

I made a rookie mistake yesterday. I climbed about 15 feet in a small pine tree with very little cover. Deer sign and acorns were plentiful, but I realized my mistake as I settled into my Lone Wolf stand at around 4:00 P.M. About 30 minutes later, 3 does approached, but spotted me about 30 yards out. A quick circle down wind of me and they were out of there. Shortly after, a small buck approached from the same direction as the does and again picked me off and circled down wind. Off he went. I was kicking myself for my poor tree selection when I saw a deer approaching from the other direction. He walked directly under my tree and turned broadside at 15 yards. As I reached full draw, he turned toward me and looked right up at me. He turned and bounded off about 5 yards and turned toward me again, trying to figure out what I was. I remained at full draw for at least a minute because any movement and I knew that he would spook. As I began shaking, he finally turned broadside to leave and I took the shot. He made it about 125 yards. This hunt reaffirmed for me the importance of picking a tree with good cover.
I used a 50 LB. hickory selfbow, Zwickey Eskimo Broadhead and cedar arrows.

Attachments

• 5CCAC515-4541-426C-B200-69BDA9C02481.jpeg
    5CCAC515-4541-426C-B200-69BDA9C02481.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 510
  • 8699A331-1264-4B65-ADBE-7E55A49BD7C0.jpeg
    8699A331-1264-4B65-ADBE-7E55A49BD7C0.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 512

Clipper

Congratulations. I've had the same thing happen to me even when hung branches behind me, but I'm not the best at staying still. Good job on making your shot on a nice buck.

AllAmerican

Congrats, great story, way to stick it out and bag a nice buck with a Selfbow!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I like that bow. Congrats for the deer and thanks for the advise.

Hillbilly stalker

Man that's great. I cherish any game taken with a self bow. Have you ever noticed tho, excluding the rut...bucks with any age on them rarely use the same trails as the does and younger bucks ? You mite not have made as big of a mistake as you originally thought. But I agree with more cover is better. Great job and story !

hogdgz

Congrats on a fine buck.

And I agree with Hillbilly stalker, that's how I killed my big 8 last year. Set up on a small trail that was parallel to the main trail.

GrayG

Thank ya'll for the kind words. The trail the older bucks take is almost always in thicker cover too.