Rookie trapper wanting to do a ride along

mossyoakpro

Anyone in the Middle Georgia area that would allow a rookie to tag along and learn some sets please contact me....I am in the process of buying equipment just need to know what to do with it. Books and Youtube is great but hands on is the best training.

I have the land just need to know what I'm doing...I would gladly let someone run a trapline on my area so that I can learn what to do. I'm in Macon and Dooly County. Mostly interested in coyotes but I have everything to include some beavers. My critters have not been trapped in a long time so they should be easy to catch for a while.

Let me know if you would like to take someone under your wing and help control the predator population.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

Fork Horn

Guess I'll figure it out on my own....

Happy New Year!

Be patient. You might still get a positive response. There have been offers similar to what you're looking for offered on here before, more of a class than one on one. Maybe there will be something offered again soon.

PappyHoel

I think GON or DNR runs a trapper workshop/training once a year. Maybe someone can post about it. I can’t remember where I read it.

mossyoakpro

Be patient. You might still get a positive response. There have been offers similar to what you're looking for offered on here before, more of a class than one on one. Maybe there will be something offered again soon.

Thanks! There is only so much I can learn from Youtube. I have tried to pay folks to come and trap and that doesn't work either so I'm going to give it a whirl. Give me something to do between deer season and turkey season :cool:

jakebuddy

The Ga trappers convention was great for me a lot of demonstrations that are priceless and a chance to interact with professional trappers the rest you just have to get out and figure it out that is what makes it so rewarding.

SemperFi

Don’t get down mossyoak. Like I said check out down south trappers and Georgia trapping on Facebook. Also consider what your asking and don’t get down on not getting a response on here. You really need to find someone pretty close to you. For most trappers it’s a time restraint thing. Unless some one does adc work they normally work full time jobs. Most are checking traps before or after work, resetting catches, and getting critters home and taken care of. I’ve taken people around with me and it adds more time to all that.

It also depends on what land we’re trapping. I’ve always taken people with me when I was trapping my hunting club. When I’m trapping for farmers or private land owners they might not want you bringing strangers with you.

Lastly the price of fur is at a bottom right now. Google NAFA fur auction results and forecasts. All they want right now is prime large northern fur. Our southern pelts aren’t in demand right now. If the fur market was better you would have gotten better response for someone to come to your land.

Don’t get down. Trappers love to help. I think you’ll find that out on the Facebook pages.

OleRed15

Anyone in the Middle Georgia area that would allow a rookie to tag along and learn some sets please contact me....I am in the process of buying equipment just need to know what to do with it. Books and Youtube is great but hands on is the best training.

I have the land just need to know what I'm doing...I would gladly let someone run a trapline on my area so that I can learn what to do. I'm in Macon and Dooly County. Mostly interested in coyotes but I have everything to include some beavers. My critters have not been trapped in a long time so they should be easy to catch for a while.

Let me know if you would like to take someone under your wing and help control the predator population.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

Mossyoakpro I sent you a PM

Mark K

Banned
Yes I’m bored and home dealing with a Pancreatitis flare up. I realize this is from a year ago, but just want to say thanks for the advice offered and tactics shared. It’s always nice to be able to share catches and even failures with another person who’s “learned” trapping pretty much the same way...trial and error.
I’d have to agree, you’ve done quite well as a teacher teaching yourself. Congrats on the learning process. It seems some people get jealous. I think we’re all just out to help the local prey population. Even if it’s just on our “local” land, it has to benefit those around us.
Congrats again Mossy! Tight chains!!

mossyoakpro

Yes I’m bored and home dealing with a Pancreatitis flare up. I realize this is from a year ago, but just want to say thanks for the advice offered and tactics shared. It’s always nice to be able to share catches and even failures with another person who’s “learned” trapping pretty much the same way...trial and error.
I’d have to agree, you’ve done quite well as a teacher teaching yourself. Congrats on the learning process. It seems some people get jealous. I think we’re all just out to help the local prey population. Even if it’s just on our “local” land, it has to benefit those around us.

It's been a big learning curve but working with a full time professional trapper helped me tremendously. I now have a lot more confidence in my ability...a bunch of caught critters helps with that!

Stay in touch and share some knowledge with me!!

Tight chains!!

mossyoakpro

It's been a big learning curve but working with a full time professional trapper helped me tremendously. I now have a lot more confidence in my ability...a bunch of caught critters helps with that!

Stay in touch and share some knowledge with me!!

Tight chains!!

Zoozoo400

I'd love to learn a bit from you, myself. Just getting into this trapping thing... no land to work with and doing all the research I can before actually buying gear. Considering starting with coons/coyotes. Any suggestions?

mossyoakpro

I'd love to learn a bit from you, myself. Just getting into this trapping thing... no land to work with and doing all the research I can before actually buying gear. Considering starting with coons/coyotes. Any suggestions?

Depending on where you are located I would be glad for you to tag along on my runs...I probably will not crank back up until winter time. As far as traps...The Bridger dogless #2 is a great trap and very reasonably priced. If you just want to catch and shoot them then it would be a good trap for you to begin with in my opionion. I run some myself but they have been modified so they don't cut the feet since I sell live market. Coons....the Duke brand DP's are hard to beat. Get yourself a half dozen and add about 2 feet of chain and a stake swivel and some rebar stakes and your good to go. Go to the dollar store and get the cheap cat food to bait with. Message me if you need any more advice. Good luck!!

Zoozoo400

Depending on where you are located I would be glad for you to tag along on my runs...I probably will not crank back up until winter time. As far as traps...The Bridger dogless #2 is a great trap and very reasonably priced. If you just want to catch and shoot them then it would be a good trap for you to begin with in my opionion. I run some myself but they have been modified so they don't cut the feet since I sell live market. Coons....the Duke brand DP's are hard to beat. Get yourself a half dozen and add about 2 feet of chain and a stake swivel and some rebar stakes and your good to go. Go to the dollar store and get the cheap cat food to bait with. Message me if you need any more advice. Good luck!!

I'm on the north side of Bibb Co.. Just looking for places to start up and hit the ground running. Looking at properties in and out of town. Unfortunately I'll be heading to Valdosta from May-Dec for school, but I'm also looking for properties down there.. so hopefully something will come out of it.

Last edited: