Rotten subfloor in used RV--help!

erhunter

Hey all,
Unfortunately found some water damage in a used 2003 RV pull behind I just purchased. It is in the front subfloor storage area. It does impact the framing beams in this front corner subfloor. The main floor appears unaffected so I believe the leak came from the storage flap door.

Do I need to rip out all the affected wood? Are there any quick cheap fixes like dumping boric acid and epoxy over the rotting wood and just sealing off the storage leak?

Any advice is appreciated, I really screwed up on this one.

Attachments

• IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_2736.jpg
    IMG_2736.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 401

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I don't know nuth'n bout berth'n no RVs, but as a carpenter I can tell you that wood rot is like cancer. If you leave it, it will grow and grow. Cut it out a couple of inches after you get into the good wood and replace it. Sorry the news couldn't be better.

swamp hunter

Wood is cheap...your labor is what's gonna matter.

Grub Master

Is it liberal plywood, as in rotted all the way through?
Or is there just surface rot?

I'd fix the leak first and dry out everything real good.
It wouldn't hurt to prime the plywood when you replace it.
Don't beat yourself up on not seeing it before buying the camper.
It's doesn't look too bad.

Dr. Strangelove

Treated!

And BJ is right cut is all the first and hope it is the last time.

... and find and fix the leak or you're gonna be doing it all over again.

erhunter

Yea this is all new to me, it is rotten all the way thru and into the studs that form the front corner of the subfloor.

So once rot starts, it will spread even if you stop the leak? When I do replace the wood, is there a pressure treated plywood and studs I should be using?

I looked up this product from rot doctor: 1)CPES 2)Fill it

http://secure.portline.com/rotdoctor/products/product.html

Anyone ever use it?

Grub Master

You will need to replace the wood. Pressure treated wood is not designed for living/enclosed spaces. Fix the leak and use plywood, not OSB, paint and put vinyl over it. The leak could as simple as from where the door was not shut and locked. Lock the door and have someone run water over it and get inside and make sure it's food and tight.

GA native

I don't know nothing about no rot doctor. I would just cut it out and replace it with marine plywood.

T-N-T

Don't feel bad.
All campers will spring a leak if left in the rain.

All of them.

Cut it out and replace. Make sure there is no water coming in the seam from the side to the front on the corner.

Check the roof. Regular silicone will NOT stick to the rubber. There is a special caulk for RV rubber roofs.

Artfuldodger

I would cut out all the rotten flooring and the rotten bracing/joist underneath.

I'm not sure wood rot spores could spread without moisture. The key would be to stop the moisture. Considering it's in a storage area of a camper which is outside, hot, and not much ventilation, it would be better to rip out the rotten wood. Reason being, it might be hard to keep it completely dry. High humidity might be enough to make the wood rot fungus grow and spread.

Oldstick

Yea this is all new to me, it is rotten all the way thru and into the studs that form the front corner of the subfloor.

So once rot starts, it will spread even if you stop the leak? When I do replace the wood, is there a pressure treated plywood and studs I should be using?

No, it will not spread as long as the moisture problem is corrected. So you have to assess how significant the structural weakness is. If the leaks are fixed and dried, and the wood is still solid enough to support what is on top of it, then don't worry about it anymore. Otherwise, just replace the studs and/or plywood that are rotted and call it OK.

An RV is not like a house with appreciation in resale value. It doesn't matter if it is in perfect condition, they all drop in value like a rock, even more so than automobiles.

GA native

Oldstick summed it up well.

That magic rot repair stuff can not restore the structural integrity of the wood. Just replace the wood and be done with it. When you're done, drill some weep holes fore and aft, and paint the deck. Rustoleum is a good moisture barrier. A few coats from the rattle can is all it takes.

Oh, and fix the seal where the water was intruding.

ratlird

First you need to find the leak and repair that. I had soft spot in mine and when I ripped into it I found that it was made up of 1/4 louan on top and bottom of 2 inch foam. I removed the damage top piece and replace with 1/4 ply wood which I wrapped in fiberglass and coated with resin to seal. Biggest concern is getting all the damaged wood out so you don't end up with mold which can be harmful to you.

Artfuldodger

First you need to find the leak and repair that. I had soft spot in mine and when I ripped into it I found that it was made up of 1/4 louan on top and bottom of 2 inch foam. I removed the damage top piece and replace with 1/4 ply wood which I wrapped in fiberglass and coated with resin to seal. Biggest concern is getting all the damaged wood out so you don't end up with mold which can be harmful to you.

I've heard campers with those types of floors can be a pain to repair.