Round Nosed Bullets

ringorock

Curious. Is a round nosed bullet any more advantageous than a pointed tip coming out of a 300 win mag? Debating between the Sierra Pro vs the GameKing. I've used GKs for a very long time. Wondering if I should change up the flavor.

NCMTNHunter

Even though there isn’t any kind of real advantage (outside the world of tube magazines) there is just something cool about the way a cartridge with a round or flat nose looks.

ringorock

Good post.

A little research goes a long way towards decision making.

If I've been using a bullet for "a very long time" then I'd suppose I'd know whether a change was needed or not.

It's not needed. You never get bored of the same ol?

rosewood

Curious. Is a round nosed bullet any more advantageous than a pointed tip coming out of a 300 win mag? Debating between the Sierra Pro vs the GameKing. I've used GKs for a very long time. Wondering if I should change up the flavor.

The standard pro-hunter has the same tip as the gameking, it is just flat based instead of boat tail. That round nose you see is typically used in the 30-30 I think for the tubular magazine. I suspect the round nose pro-hunter may not perform well in a 300 win mag since it is designed for the velocities of the 30-30.

Rosewood

transfixer

A very long time ago when in my late teens/early twenties, I hunted with a 742 30.06, back then I only had iron sights, seldom shot over 50-75 yds, and used 180gr round nose core lokts, they worked fine, although sometimes destroyed a lot of meat, I wasn't into precise pin point shooting back then, that came about in my mid 20's and exposure to clearcut and buying my first bolt action and scope, then I realized I needed ammo that was aero dynamic, and started learning the need for precise shooting, if I were hunting close range animals in thick cover with an iron sighted gun I would probably still use something round nosed with an exposed lead tip, but other than that I don't see the need for those.

With a 300 win mag and the velocities those have, I don't see a need or advantage to a round nose bullet, in fact I think it would be a detriment under most conditions.