Roundup and 24D

sghoghunter

I'm planning on doing some spraying at the club. Mostly what I want is to do is kill the grass and scrub bushes growing on the sides of the roads and some gal berry bushes. What would be the ratio for these two?

Stroker

I get excellent results with 2 oz of Roundup and 2 oz of Triclopyr to a gallon of water. For best results be sure to add a surfactant if the Roundup doesn't have it included.

doomtrpr_z71

The rate for glyphosate is 2 to 5 quarts per acre if its a higher quality formulation with 4lbs of ai per gallon, some formulations are only 3. 24d is a gallon per acre for an amine formulation.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I usually use about 3 oz of glyphosate and 2 oz of triclopyr, 2,4-D, or something like Crossbow that's a mixture per gallon. Just watch out for volatilization if it's hot. You can wind up killing stuff you don't want to.

Ihunt

Wiped out most of my garden many years back. Not even the county agent was aware of the risk.

People need to be very careful with 2-4-d. It will hurt a cotton field. Twist one of those up and you’ll be filing a claim on your homeowners policy and praying they pay out.

doomtrpr_z71

Volatility won't kill anything, temperature inversions will. If the cotton is phytogen the 24d won't curl it. If you are near cotton triclopyr would be the better choice as its more temp stable. The 24d would be better applied late in the afternoon in 85* or less weather.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Volatility won't kill anything, temperature inversions will. If the cotton is phytogen the 24d won't curl it. If you are near cotton triclopyr would be the better choice as its more temp stable. The 24d would be better applied late in the afternoon in 85* or less weather.
Respectfully disagree about volatility killing stuff, and agree about the lower temp the better. I've seen mature timber and all kinds of other nearby stuff killed by 2,4-D and triclopyr mixes volatilizing at hot temps.

doomtrpr_z71

24d amine cannot volatilize as a vapor, esters form vapors that tend to be the non salt forms reducing its efficacy and ability to be taken up by the plant, triclopyr depends on the salt formulation as some forms have a high enough vapor pressure to need 105* heat to volatilize. With that said drift or vapors won't be enough to kill a tree, it will cause the leaves to curl but that's not enough to cause fatal damage to the tree unless it was already on its way out. The leaf curl at low doses actually promotes growth. Mature timber definitely wouldn't be killed by vapors from the 2.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
24d amine cannot volatilize as a vapor, esters form vapors that tend to be the non salt forms reducing its efficacy and ability to be taken up by the plant, triclopyr depends on the salt formulation as some forms have a high enough vapor pressure to need 105* heat to volatilize. With that said drift or vapors won't be enough to kill a tree, it will cause the leaves to curl but that's not enough to cause fatal damage to the tree unless it was already on its way out. The leaf curl at low doses actually promotes growth. Mature timber definitely wouldn't be killed by vapors from the 2.
We'll just have to agree to disagree, as I've seen it happen. And lawsuits over it. And fines/loss of pesticide license.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
24d and cotton do not mix at all. There have been many insurance claims in my parts from such. You can see where it drifts across a field very easily. I have personally seen where an emty jug with no lid fell off a spray wagon and the vapors drifted across a cotton field

doomtrpr_z71

Y'all are confusing drift and volatility, you won't end up with an insurance claim over volatility against a neighbor, if that was the case the mid south would have broken the insurance system by now with dicamba issues. Volitization doesn't cause enough damage to justify the court costs.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Y'all are confusing drift and volatility, you won't end up with an insurance claim over volatility against a neighbor, if that was the case the mid south would have broken the insurance system by now with dicamba issues. Volitization doesn't cause enough damage to justify the court costs.
I'm talking about both. I have seen serious damage from volatility.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I fill my 25 gal sprayer up and add 22 oz roundup with 22 oz amine 2-4d. I have never had a problem killing anything that I spray. Most of what I spray is kudzu,sweet gum trees,Ivy and grass.