Royal Slam complete!

Limbhanger2881

Just curious, did yall have a camp total with the specs of the birds killed? O went with expectations of killing a super heavy 30# plus gobbler. Wrong. They were way lighter that I had imagined. I guess the density of their feathers throw ya off. Their feet are high and I just figured the rest of them would match, but the weights were lower than I had figured. The heaviest gobbler brought in was 19.3 and the lightest was 13.6. Most were in the 16-17# range. The mounts are noticeably larger than any of the other sub-species though.

My bird weighed 35 pounds when I killed it.

Also, on decoys. My guide tied a tame longbeard up in front of us and we used it like a decoy. It was the weirdest craziest this I had seen turkey hunting.

Mark K

Banned
Just curious, did yall have a camp total with the specs of the birds killed? O went with expectations of killing a super heavy 30# plus gobbler. Wrong. They were way lighter that I had imagined. I guess the density of their feathers throw ya off. Their feet are high and I just figured the rest of them would match, but the weights were lower than I had figured. The heaviest gobbler brought in was 19.3 and the lightest was 13.6. Most were in the 16-17# range. The mounts are noticeably larger than any of the other sub-species though.
Only 4 hunters, had two cancellations at the last minute.
Our birds went anywhere from 17-23#. I think what’s different is their height and of course their huge feet. They look a lot bigger than they really are. What was the coolest thing to me was my two both came in strutting and their heads were a pale powder blue all the way down to their wattles. My buddy said his birds were the typical red, white, and blue, but the white and red colors were more vibrant than our Eastern’s.
I guess all turkeys heads can turn that pale blue color but that was the first time I had seen it.

Limbhanger2881

Only 4 hunters, had two cancellations at the last minute.
Our birds went anywhere from 17-23#. I think what’s different is their height and of course their huge feet. They look a lot bigger than they really are. What was the coolest thing to me was my two both came in strutting and their heads were a pale powder blue all the way down to their wattles. My buddy said his birds were the typical red, white, and blue, but the white and red colors were more vibrant than our Eastern’s.
I guess all turkeys heads can turn that pale blue color but that was the first time I had seen it.

I have seen this with easterns.

Mark K

Banned
It was a first for me and that’s exactly how I’m getting him mounted. To watch that bird take 35 minutes to work his way 100 yards down a ridge never breaking strut until he was at 5 yards is something I’ll never forget anyways.