Ruger Mark iii

Thread starter #1
My 22/45 started catching the bullets on the feed ramp. Cuts the nose of them and jams. The pistol is clean and doesn't do it all the time. Wanted some opinions....weak shells ( Winchester )...weak mags (x2) or do I need to hone the ramp ? It's always ate everything I've put thru it in years past. Thanks.

Attachments

All else being equal, it looks like it’s not coming out of the magazine at the proper angle and jamming on the bottom of the feed ramp. I would look at the magazine’s first.

i have a new mark IV and it did the same thing. my problem was the mag. they were not feeding correctly from the mag. I shifted the bullets inside the mag till they appeared to look seated at the correct angle and they fed fine after that.

Offroadtek

Mine does that too. It's really bad with hollowpoints. I end up just shooting round nose in it.

Anvil Head

jmoser

Try different ammo; hard to tweak mag lips etc if there is a bad combo with bullet nose profile.

But yes - tweak the loaded mags by pulling all the way down on the button, let them settle in with 'slack on the stack.' [Does the Ruger mag have a thumb button? Thinking of my Buckmark. Sold my Ruger 20 years ago]

Thread starter #8
Thanks guys, I alway smack the mag against the heel of my hand,Uncle Sam engrained that in me, I'm gonna tune my mags, use different ammo. Checked the brick and a lot of the shells seem to have loose bullets. Thanks again.

Thread starter #9
FIXED IT ! I removed the LCI ( loaded chamber indicator ) and I replaced the hammer bushing which done away with the magazine safety. The pistol will now fire without a magazine and best of all, when you hit the mag release button, the mag shoots out. No more digging it out. The hammer bushing cost $9 and takes about 2-3 minutes for a 1st timer to change. It's all on you tube. I ran 3 mags thru it this morning without any problems with the same ammo. The best $9 you can spend. These are the old pieces , one piece replaces all this

Attachments

jmoser

Nice work - I own 3 Buckmarks and the mag safety link fell out of all of them within minutes. Never considered that the downward pressure on the mag would interfere with feeding but makes sense.

A bit trickier to do on my Model 41 but same end result.