Rut Map

djmck1

It's on the money for our part of Burke County the past two years.

Buckbuster

It has to do with where the deer were stocked from, some of Harris was stocked with Wisconsin deer and have a solid mid Nov. rut, Alabama I believe stocked Louisanna and Mississippi deer that have evolved to a late rut to give birth after spring flooding.Other parts of Harris and Troup recieved deer from other states and rut a week or 2 later.

Would some of these Deer cross the Chattahoochee after all these yrs? I know Cobb is full of Deer and they were not stocked in Cobb. All I am saying is there is a big difference across the river into Ala. and and I know Deer cross that river a lot over the yrs.

Killdee

Cobbs deer came from stockings in Paulding Cherokee. Keep in mind there were no deer in Harris/ Troup or a lot of other countys till stockings in the 60s and 70s. These are not my theories, but the explanations of biologists, I'm just a deer hunter who knows to be in the woods 2-3 days either side of Nov 10th where I hunt in Harris and Troup.

joshb311

I'm gambling that the Mathews map is off a week or so in my area, but I could be wrong (has happened before and will again I'm sure) as last year I heard a buck chasing a doe and grunting heavy as he was on her trail and that was the day before Thanksgiving last year. I have a feeling that the weather and other factors will play a role again this year, though.

Forest Grump

Killdee may be "no biologist", but he is dead on in his explanation. Deer in Ga rut when they are genetically programmed to in the areas from whence they originally were stocked. There is a minor influence from the weather on MOVEMENT, which affects when you see more activity, but what triggers the rut is increasing night length affecting the pineal gland & melatonin release from it. Buck:doe ratios & population dynamics also affect how many successfully breed on the first estrus cycle & over time this can mess up a system designed to run like a clock.

As far as the counties where I've done a lot of hunting over the years (Macon, Dooly, Crawford, Houston, Wilcox, Jones, & a few others, those maps look pretty accurate).
If you'll follow the link posted above, and the other links in that thread, there is quite a bit of info on here as to where the Game & Fish Commission (what is now called DNR) stocked deer & from where. There were also private stockings: in Wilcox, for example, some of the farmers got tired of waiting for the state to "get around to them" & drove to Wisconsin & bought some deer they released along the river, in advance of the state doing the same. People in some of the linked threads report similar events in Worth county & other spots.

Texas deer did not survive well in Ga, likely due to rutting too late, but some of their genes are still influencing certain spots; there the rut is later, & the deer tend to be short but have big headgear; not TX "clones", but kind of like a hybrid of 2 or more subspecies.

hummdaddy

could not get the link to work ... where did the worth county deer come from ,and is the map accurate for the worth county/turner county area ....

ALPHAMAX

i think it's very close to being right I hunt stephens & rabun-most of the time i see north end of stephens hot rut nov.15 and about same for rabun. best rut map I've seen

REDFOXJR

Does anybody notice on the maps, that the southeastern region goes into rut, before the north? temperatures does have a little to do with the deer going into rut also, im just curious as how its warmer down there than the northern end, and the deer go into rut before??? hello?

REDFOXJR

:crazy:
Does anybody notice on the maps, that the southeastern region goes into rut, before the north? temperatures does have a little to do with the deer going into rut also, im just curious as how its warmer down there than the northern end, and the deer go into rut before??? hello?

Chris Kalinski

The weather will only affect the intensity of the breeding or rut, it has nothing to do with the timing of it.

stevied1515

I know the rut date here in Spalding/Thomaston, I've killin 2 nice bucks down in Thomaston and nice 8 pointer here in Spalding the last couple of years... all on the same date... Nov 12th - the 16th is the best to kill nice bucks....