RV battery question???

Thread starter #1

MOTS

Senior Member
My travel trailer has been in closed storage for about four years. If I carry it to a 30 amp site, will the battery be ok like it is? It’s at another location(NC), so it’s something I can’t go out and charge, I’m in south GA. Should I carry a new battery?
 

T-N-T

Senior Member
I'd imagine that 4 years has killed it beyond dead. It might work once plugged in. It doesnt need to hold a charge once plugged in, but I would NOT count on it working after 4 years.
 
Thread starter #3

MOTS

Senior Member
Thanks for the quick reply. So I assume it’s good to go if I do a full electric hook up? That’s all I’ve ever done with this camper.
 

Stang

Senior Member
Do you have an electric tongue jack? If so, it's going to need the 12V from the battery to operate the jack so you can hook up to your truck unless you have power to plug in the camper at the closed storage facility.
 

bany

Senior Member
Thanks for the quick reply. So I assume it’s good to go if I do a full electric hook up? That’s all I’ve ever done with this camper.
Get a new battery. You don’t want the hassle or damage that may occur with a weak or dead battery.
 

Bob Shaw

Senior Member
I agree with Bany and Boondocks, buy a battery. Your converter is going to be constantly trying to charge that dead battery, and if you have to pay for the electricity, it's going to run your bill up. Also, you're going to have to listen to the fan in your converter running constantly. The converter isn't designed to charge a dead battery, so it could also give you some other electrical problems if the converter goes bad, like losing everything 12 volt, like your lights, your refrigerator, radio. You could try to take a battery charger with you, but after 4 years, the battery is so sulfated it most likely wont take a charge.
 
I agree with Bany and Boondocks, buy a battery. Your converter is going to be constantly trying to charge that dead battery, and if you have to pay for the electricity, it's going to run your bill up. Also, you're going to have to listen to the fan in your converter running constantly. The converter isn't designed to charge a dead battery, so it could also give you some other electrical problems if the converter goes bad, like losing everything 12 volt, like your lights, your refrigerator, radio. You could try to take a battery charger with you, but after 4 years, the battery is so sulfated it most likely wont take a charge.
This.......battery is cheaper than a converter !
 
Top