Rye Grass in food plots?

gordylew

Interesting read. I have a plot that did not get planted before season due to lack of rain and was going to plant it today in Rye. I wanted to see if it would grow between now and end of season so the deer would have something to eat in January and February. Bad idea?

davidhelmly

Interesting read. I have a plot that did not get planted before season due to lack of rain and was going to plant it today in Rye. I wanted to see if it would grow between now and end of season so the deer would have something to eat in January and February. Bad idea?
If you're talking about rye grass yes it's a very bad idea, if you're talking about rye grain, great idea.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Stonewall 2

Here is a couple pics you can see the clover being choked out. This plot has buck forage oats and crimson clover planted with some volunteer clover as well. We plant with a seed drill and as you can see no rows.D90FB911-3327-45A4-89B5-AF17FF89A283.jpegAFB19A76-71F8-451B-A3BA-D018080504FE.jpeg

aabradley82

I plant ryegrass for cattle and the deer won’t leave it alone. If you hit it hard with fertilizers it has a fairly high nutritional value. Wheat and oats don’t have much value either if not fertilized. I can understand wanting to get rid of it, but between now and nukefest you might as well hit it with some ammonia and enjoy it.

Stonewall 2

I don't see where ryegrass is that big of a problem in your plot ir closeup pic?

Well all that grass is rye grass not oats and at the rate it is growing my clover looks like it will be choked out. Like is said we plant with a seed drill so normally you see the rows of what we planted except the clover because we have so much volunteer clover from the years of planting it. I have been planting these plots for 11 years and this is not what I expect to see

gordylew

I ended up planting Buck Forage oats. This late in the season finding seed can sometimes be a pain. I also had a half a bag of tri blend Pennington Clover mix that I threw out as well. fingers X
I found plant food in liquid form on closeout at tractor supply. Anyone ever used this as a fertilizer/supplement. It mixes half a cup to several gallons of water. I figured it may be a cheap alternative to expensive fertilizer. Any thoughts?

doomtrpr_z71

I ended up planting Buck Forage oats. This late in the season finding seed can sometimes be a pain. I also had a half a bag of tri blend Pennington Clover mix that I threw out as well. fingers X
I found plant food in liquid form on closeout at tractor supply. Anyone ever used this as a fertilizer/supplement. It mixes half a cup to several gallons of water. I figured it may be a cheap alternative to expensive fertilizer. Any thoughts?
What you bought is the expensive fertilizer, that half cup will have very little fertilizer actually in it.