S&P lists Academy among most at-risk to default

mattuga

Banned
Good article.
There is actually zero info to lead to the conclusion of the article title. Anyone else have an article for this non-detailed garbage of reporting to have any backup with facts?

"New Academy is the indirect parent company of the discount chain Academy Sports & Outdoors, which has more than 240 locations. " That is the in depth reporting given by this article and why Academy was listed...You'd have to find MSNBC to have such a deliberate title with no facts or attempt to provide them.

Last edited:

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Actually no, and the Academy segment was the least substantiated of all the companies listed, which is ironic, considering most Academy stores I've seen are generally busy and have a robust customer base. I will miss those 5 dollar bag chairs though, if they close.

rwinn56

I’m sure if you read the report from s and p that this article was based on, you would find your details. S and p rates the financial ability of a company to meet its debt obligations

shdw633

Academy has actually been downgraded for a while and has been on that list for a while as well, at least since June of last year. Box retailers are getting hammered by the Internet and time. Time being the fact that no one has the time to be driving around shopping for things, easier to just punch up Ebay or Amazon on your computer and have it delivered right to your door so you can be out doing other things. I don't think Academy does a good job with their website. Many times their site says they have several of an item and then when you get to the store they say they don't have any and haven't had any. Though their prices are pretty descent they can still be beat by the Internet most of the time and usually pretty substantially. I recently bought one of those skinning tools that help to grab the hide to take it off and it was nearly half what Academy had it listed for, plus no tax, plus free shipping. Academy, like many other box stores, are not grasping that side of their business well enough and that's why they are in the situation they are in.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The only sporting goods retailer I ever go In that is consistently busy is academy

elfiii

Admin
Staff member