Safety Concern

Phil W.

I have a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero that was made in 1994. I bought it last year from a widow of our hunting club member. I have shot about 50 rounds through the rifle without any issues. Today, when I flipped the safety off, the rifle fired. I open the bolt, extracted the brass and when I closed the bolt back to the down position, the rifle dry fired again. I checked the trigger pull with a trigger scale and it's set at 2 lbs. The previous owner may have messed with it or it may have come from the factory that light. Should I take this to a gunsmith and have him try and adjust the trigger or just install an aftermarket trigger? If aftermarket is the way to got, what brand/model or part number trigger should I buy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
its a 700 Remington... everyone knows they have those issues, and Remington has a recall on them.

Phil W.

I have lost count of how many 700s I have bought, sold, traded and hunted with in the last 40 years. This is the first one that I have ever had do this. Makes me think the previous owner messed with the trigger because I have never seen one come from the factory set at 2 lbs.

Clemson

Remington seals the adjustment screws with clear lacquer. If it has been removed, the trigger has been messed with. I recommend putting a Timney on it.

Bill Jacobs

transfixer

its a 700 Remington... everyone knows they have those issues, and Remington has a recall on them.

The recall is supposed to be on 700's made after 2006 , up until around 2013 , if his was made in 94 ? then it isn't involved in that, sounds like someone messed with it and set it too low.

I know I've got a 700 that was made around 90 or 91 , and I've never had an issue with the trigger on it.

ryanh487

It's not hard to fix the trigger adjustment to where it won't do that, if an adjustment is what caused it in the first place. Just pull the action, find the screw (probably covered in nail polish) and adjust it until you can flick the safety off without dropping the firing pin. Or you could just replace it with a Timney trigger as has been suggested, if you don't mind spending $100 or so on it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
send me the old one if you swap it out :D

sounds like it may have been improperly adjusted. All three would need to be adjusted to make sure it is all correct creep, overtravel and sear enguagement. It probably can be gone over by a good armorer or smith. I have seen a white color sealer on them too. Ifyou have lost confidence in the old one...to keep the webs out of your head :D...change it.

Rifle Basix has the same size shoe that the factory trigger has. The others get progressively narrower...Jewell being the narrowest I think

killerv

It's not hard to fix the trigger adjustment to where it won't do that, if an adjustment is what caused it in the first place. Just pull the action, find the screw (probably covered in nail polish) and adjust it until you can flick the safety off without dropping the firing pin. Or you could just replace it with a Timney trigger as has been suggested, if you don't mind spending $100 or so on it.

and thats the problem, backyard gunsmiths thinking they only had to touch one screw, to do it right, all three need to be adjusted.

I've got a nickle timney sitting on my workbench, adjusted and ready to go if you think you could install it yourself. Really the only tricky part is putting in the bolt release spring.

ryanh487

and thats the problem, backyard gunsmiths thinking they only had to touch one screw, to do it right, all three need to be adjusted.

I've got a nickle timney sitting on my workbench, adjusted and ready to go if you think you could install it yourself. Really the only tricky part is putting in the bolt release spring.

Yes there are 3. But only the sear engagement screw effects the gun firing when the safety is released. He asked how to stop the malfunction. Not how to do a trigger job.

Jester896

Senior Clown
2# i feel is below the factory spring capabilities. I generally agree with the statement that only one needs adjustment. Provided that you know for a fact that the other 2 are correct. That may not be the case here. I would evaluate all three and seal them back up. Since this is a new to him...I believe the trigger job is in order.

An AD is a terrible thing to waste in many ways. To regain confidence in the rifle he should do one or the other.

killerv

Yes there are 3. But only the sear engagement screw effects the gun firing when the safety is released. He asked how to stop the malfunction. Not how to do a trigger job.

I don't care for your tone.

a "trigger" job is what sounds like got him in the situation he is in. A trigger job is in order to fix it, start from scratch with the front two screws and set the sear accordingly.

ryanh487

I don't care for your tone.

a "trigger" job is what sounds like got him in the situation he is in. A trigger job is in order to fix it, start from scratch with the front two screws and set the sear accordingly.

Yes, an unknown adjustment by a third party.

Just because I didn't go into full detail you assumed that I have no idea what i'm talking about. You also assumed the OP lacked the common sense to read what I said about adjusting a screw and go type "how to adjust Remington 700 trigger screws" into Google and find more thorough instructions, or at the very least ask more questions here. Working on a gun isn't some black magic super elite craft that only select people are capable of. It's just a detailed task that requires you to pay attention and follow simple instructions. It's not "backyard gunsmiths" that cause problems, it's morons who don't know how to read and follow basic instructions and instead just wing it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think your detail lacked some information... whether he knew it or not.. is irrelevant.

I actually think "Backyard Gunsmiths" may cause problems
I doubt it was a task oriented moron that created the problem :D

Buckstop

As easy as a timney trigger swap is, I believe I’d just bite the bullet and drop a timney in and be done with it. You can even order them preset at the poundage you want down to 1.5#. Easy fix that for $100, you will have total confidence in and its a darn nice trigger too. As Jester said, just dont drive second pin out past the release spring. Itll slide right in. A gen1 sendero is worth the upgrade anyway. Have a cpl and love them.

I had a M700 in the late 80’s that I had a trigger job done on that did the same thing. Caught it before I had an AD. Took it back and the guy could’t get it right so replaced it altogether with another walker.

nmurph

Spend $125 and buy a Timney. It takes about 15 minutes to swap out the old one and there are no nagging thoughts.