Safety Harness and Ladder Stands

Bucaramus

I always wear my harness when using a climber but never do in our ladder stands. I mostly hunt from a ground blind, but when in a ladder I don't wear one. We replace ladder stand straps every year so worn out straps don't really bother me. Who wears their harness in the ladder stand?

furtaker

I guess because I'm not concerned about falling out. If I'm sleepy I'll go home. What about a tripod? Those could fall, but not likely.
Well you should be. Accidents often happen when you start to get too comfortable. You could lose your balance trying to get turned around on a big buck.

I don't hunt in tripods.

drewskyc

This post had be researching fall statistics (while I sit at work). Sounds like I might need to wear a harness myself! Never really worried about while using a ladder stand, but I guess anything can happen when you're 20 feet of the ground.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I wear a harness in a ladder stand. I started when I started taking my kids. I made them wear one & wanted to set an example.
Like has already been said, a fall is a fall. No matter what type of stand you fall from.

davidhelmly

We had a member lifeflighted out after a fall several years ago so lifelines and harness are mandatory on all loc ons and ladder stands and a harness is mandatory for climbers from the ground up. I don’t ever want to have to make the call to someone’s wife again that their husband is in a helicopter in critical condition!

drewskyc

I guess one recurring theme I was seeing on the falls from ladder stands was people falling while climbing up the ladder or down the ladder. I don't see how having a harness would prevent that since you would have to undo the strap from around the tree to actually climb down the ladder and it wouldn't be attached until you got up the ladder? Am I missing something there?

Bucaramus

Let me say that I'm not against wearing one at all. Really looking for opinions as well as experiences. Maybe this could have been turned into a poll.

davidhelmly

I guess one recurring theme I was seeing on the falls from ladder stands was people falling while climbing up the ladder or down the ladder. I don't see how having a harness would prevent that since you would have to undo the strap from around the tree to actually climb down the ladder and it wouldn't be attached until you got up the ladder? Am I missing something there?
Yes you are, if you have a lifeline on the stand you never unhook.

Bucaramus

Yes, a lifeline. We have these on several of our stands in Wilkinson county. While it is not mandatory that they be used, yet, they're there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I never do with ladders, but yes in climbers and lock-ons.

Bucaramus

I fell 20' climbing into a stand without a harness and was lucky enough to only break a couple of bones. I do not leave the ground without a harness now regardless if its a climber or ladder. It's the least I can do for my wife and son.
Glad you were ok.

Bubba_1122

There's actually some pretty good information and resources in here:
https://treestandsafetyawarenessfounda.godaddysites.com/resources

20% of the falls happen on ladder stands, 25% in climbers, 20% in homemade, and 31% in lock ons.

Not a whole lot of difference in the incidence of falls between the climber and the ladder stand.

It's also my understanding that more falls happen going up or down the ladder than anything else (just my understanding, not in the Safety Foundation site).

Personally, for the last several years, I hook up before my feet leave the ground regardless.