Salt for making ice cream.

Oldstick

I think it has to do with the Salt changing either the melting point of ice or lowering the freezng point of water....it is something along those lines....either way, the ice/water is much colder.

That's it. Salt in the water/ice mixture lowers the freezing/melting point below the normal 32 degrees. So you get a slushy mixture of water and ice that is a good bit colder than 32. The very cold ice water bath surrounding the ice cream churn (or the beer) is what freezes it in a hurry.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I have used ice cream salt to start salt licks in many places. They love it.

this

before they started repackaging and selling cow mineral salts as "big old buck horn growing magic antler guaranteed to get your picture on a magazine cover salt" at twice the price-- ice cream salt was what normal people used to make salt licks.

of course that was in the pre-antler worship days.

T

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
That's it. Salt in the water/ice mixture lowers the freezing/melting point below the normal 32 degrees. So you get a slushy mixture of water and ice that is a good bit colder than 32. The very cold ice water bath surrounding the ice cream churn (or the beer) is what freezes it in a hurry.

One person paid attention in chemistry. :cheers:

BornToHuntAndFish

It sure has help us get more trail cam photos of deer. Ice cream salt, rock salt, coarse pool salt, etc., all work great for us & the whitetails eat it up fast. We mix it with the powder version of the reddish brown cattle mineral block & pour water over it to help melt it into the ground & help get the salt smell aroma in the air quicker.

Each year on the forum I see good reports of positive experiences of it attracting deer at mineral licks or even in folks backyards.

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
this

before they started repackaging and selling cow mineral salts as "big old buck horn growing magic antler guaranteed to get your picture on a magazine cover salt" at twice the price-- ice cream salt was what normal people used to make salt licks.

of course that was in the pre-antler worship days.

T

Back in the days when my boys were at home money was tight. We made homemade ice cream regularly.
I used to save the salt from the ice cream freezer to add to or start salt licks. Folks dont seem to do the frugile things anymore these days, at least we dont hear about it much.;) Nowadays I am guilty of paying $12-$14 for the trophy rock too. :D

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Pool salt is under $6 for a 40lb bag. I have also put out the 15 lb cattle mineral blocks. Ice cream salt will not hurt them. They will eat it but it doens't really help them out nutritionally.

buckmanmike

I think the physics of salt on iced beer is the salt makes the ice absorb heat quicker(melt), thus making the beer colder. Same process as in making ice cream.

Stroker

X2 on frozen beer coondog. Froze a whole case of Bud Ice with to much of the salt.

spwatz

According to my chemisty teacher in high school (which was over 30 years ago for me), the outside layer of ice is contantly melting and re-freezing, even in a very cold environment. Each time it melts is takes in heat from its surroundings. Each time it re-freezes, it gives off heat. However, when salt is added, it mixes with the water and lowers the freezing point, keeping it from re-freezing. So, when it melts and doesn't re-freeze, it is pulling in heat from anything around it. When the salt is added, a lot of melting is going on and it can pull heat at a very fast pace. If too much salt is added or if cans of liquid are left in this environment for too long, they will freeze and burst.

He stressed to us that salt does not melt ice, it just keeps it from re-freezing.

across the river

It will attract the deer during the spring and summer, but not during the fall, as it is not needed then. It will not enhance your antler growth at all either....get a mineral supplement with calcium, phosphorus, and potassium if you wish to do that. The salt is used in mineral blocks for one purpose only...to attract the animal. Other than that, not much in the way of positive attributes.

Actually, I remeber reading an article a few months ago that stated that deer hit salt licks primarily because they were deficient in sodium. There also isn't any hard evidence (that I'm aware of) that proves that mineral licks help increase antler size).

Oldstick

Back in the days when my boys were at home money was tight. We made homemade ice cream regularly.
I used to save the salt from the ice cream freezer to add to or start salt licks. Folks dont seem to do the frugile things anymore these days, at least we dont hear about it much.;) Nowadays I am guilty of paying $12-$14 for the trophy rock too. :D

Now that is a very smart idea, because we were always trying to figure out a place to pour it out where it wouldn't kill grass or shrubbery.

:rofl:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Two days ago I went out to my camp and checked my deer cam. The most pics I ever got over corn was about 700 in one week. Well after I pored the ice-cream salt out a week before I got 993 pictures of probably all the deer in the area eating the salt. Got a lot of bucks with their horns starting to grow and lots of does and many fat with fawns.

I set up a solar light with the camera flash turned off to see if this will work so the camera batteries will last longer. I'm planning to go back and pull the SD card to find out if it worked.

gt40

Attachments

• salt 1 .jpg
    salt 1 .jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 295
  • salt 2 .jpg
    salt 2 .jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 282
  • remote flash 2 .JPG
    remote flash 2 .JPG
    480.7 KB · Views: 324
  • remote flash 1 .jpg