Sapelo Island Hunters (Tips For The Ignorant )

TC915

Thanks for the info Medic, ya saved me the headache of showing up & finding out I'd have no way to eat lol.

706Bulldog

My group is also headed down Nov 19. Has anyone heard of hunters seeing many deer so far on these quota hunts this year? Also are we allowed to bring beer?
Thanks

farm7729

I'm heading down for the Jan hog hunt. I have gotten some good advice from this thread and a few PM's, but what about taking a personal boat over? I've got access to a 14' jon boat with a 25 HP on it. Would something this size be ok? Also, where is the closest boat ramp on the main land and where are the docks on Sapelo? Its been years since I have been over there.

medic1

The landing on Blue-n-Hall Road in Darien is your closest boat ramp. You can take a jon boat on a calm day but Doboy Sound can get rough. I would not recommend it but others may not be as cautious as I am.

medic1

Also, I don't know how many people are going with you but my 16' center console was barely big enough to carry all the gear that 3 people needed.

kenswaim

I been going for about ten years to sapelo in my 18 foot bass boat it's been ok on most part but it's 17 miles from blue n hall to the camp dock and if you don't know you way you can get lost or hit a sand bar. And the sound can get very rough and the sound is about a mile wide

ridgerunner404

My nice deer this year

Well I finally got an nice buck off sapelo this year on the nov firearms hunt in 2014. Another fine sapelo trip in the books

Attachments

• 128.JPG
    128.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 693

oldfatbubba

Nice! Do you know roughly how many deer were taken on that hunt? I was on October 23rd hunt and only +/-20 deer were taken, well below the +80% success in 2013.

ridgerunner404

I was supposed to have gone on the jan hog hunt but work got in the way. but allways enjoyable everytime I go and never come home empty handed. I go for more of the pleasure of doing things differently

MadThwacker

Four of us are planning on heading there April 17-19. It will be a first for each of us. Luckily we have found a local resident that will allow us to use his house and atv while we are there. If anyone has any pointers on how to be successful, please chime in. Thanks

Jmacatee

We're planing a similar hunt in a few weeks. Very interested to hear about how your hunt goes. Ive heard a lot of horror stories about local "hook ups". I think its what scares a lot of people away. Went in Jan during hog quota hunt and hunt went great but when quotas go so do the good times.

ridgerunner404

special hog hunt

We are headed down for a few days the end of march. Allways good time and allways go home with good meat. I disagree about when quota goes so do good times. We take my boat and have just as good of a time if not better during small game and or special hog hunts. A great combination hunt if you like to fish and hunt. But I will say,, I have been going for over 25 years and have never went without my own boat, it IS the only way, but you have to make sure you are totaly self sufficient for all your needs. There is an art to the madness but the rewards far out weigh you must know how to pack.