Sauerkraut recipe needed

MOTS

Google Kapusta, it’s off the chain good stuff

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
My mom used to make it by the tons when I was growing up. She would make me grate up about two dishpans full of cabbage, then she would do something to it and put it in a big ceramic churn crock to ferment in the root cellar until it smelled rotten, then she'd can it up in glass jars. I always though it tasted horrible, so I never learned how to make it.
That's why H22 posted a homemade recipe for it a while back. His grandparents made it that way and I love it! I think the guy that posted the thread was RobRay a while back. I can't copy the thread.

Dub

I know it has caraway seed in it,,,,at least the German type,,,,

So that’s what that is ?!!!.

Cool.

I’ve seen the occasional tiny seed in it but didn’t think enough to look it up....probably was on the jar or bag label if I’d bothered to look.

The bagged stuff is the best I’ve had.....comes in thick clear plastic bags in the meat section.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
The bagged stuff is the best I’ve had.....comes in thick clear plastic bags in the meat section.

^this^.. I love me some Boar's Head Kraut..

Reactions: Dub

Cmp1

BANNED
So that’s what that is ?!!!.

Cool.

I’ve seen the occasional tiny seed in it but didn’t think enough to look it up....probably was on the jar or bag label if I’d bothered to look.

Try the red cabbage,,,,pretty sure you'll like it,,,,

Patriot44

Banned
Kraut is perfectly ok and I love it. I beg with you from the bottom of my heart, please do NOT make Kimchee. I see that you are in Vidalia and that is entirely too close to Atlanter and will stink us up.

Blech. :sick: What's next, want us to get blacked out deerunk on SoJu? :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Please, I beg, I will pay you, do not make or consume Kimchee.

jigman29

My granny made it al the time. She kept dozens of jars in the cellar and as best as I remember she had a crock that was for only kraut and she kept a river rock in it for a weight. She would layer cabbage and salt mashing each layer with a wooden stick to get the juices flowing. when it was full she added just enough spring water to cover the cabbage and would put a plate on it and wrap the rock in cheesecloth and put it on the plate to hold the cabbage down. let it set till she deemed it done and would put it in jars.
Biggest fits I remember granny pitching was when she would go to get a jar from the cellar and my dad and uncles would have drank the juice from several jars. Kraut juice was the preferred chaser for "white likker" on the head of Bettys Creek lol.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
My granny made it al the time. She kept dozens of jars in the cellar and as best as I remember she had a crock that was for only kraut and she kept a river rock in it for a weight. She would layer cabbage and salt mashing each layer with a wooden stick to get the juices flowing. when it was full she added just enough spring water to cover the cabbage and would put a plate on it and wrap the rock in cheesecloth and put it on the plate to hold the cabbage down. let it set till she deemed it done and would put it in jars.
Biggest fits I remember granny pitching was when she would go to get a jar from the cellar and my dad and uncles would have drank the juice from several jars. Kraut juice was the preferred chaser for "white likker" on the head of Bettys Creek lol.
Sounds about the same I remember. Our cellar had more than one use too.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
The wife cuts up an apple and adds some brown sugar. Some times we will put some ribs in with the kraut and let them cook slow in a crock pot.

Artfuldodger

I might could have used that as a chaser for Black Draught when I was a kid. I had to use dill pickle juice. My Dad thought it was a cure-all for any ailment.

I love sauerkraut and it's really good for the digestion. Black Drat; not so much.

sinclair1

If it's one thing I have is kraut recipes. From cold to hot and can bust them out like bubba gump, but they do no good. The trick is how to prepare them, which is hard to translate. Kraut is super finicky.
The best one that is like none I have ever had here in the states, uses corn startch and is cooked down for hours to a more mushy consistency with caraway seeds and some other tidbits.

Most of the recipes are holocaust specials from my grandmothers bunker fermenting days

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
If it's one thing I have is kraut recipes. From cold to hot and can bust them out like bubba gump, but they do no good. The trick is how to prepare them, which is hard to translate. Kraut is super finicky.
The best one that is like none I have ever had here in the states, uses corn startch and is cooked down for hours to a more mushy consistency with caraway seeds and some other tidbits.

Most of the recipes are holocaust specials from my grandmothers bunker fermenting days
You just reminded me that my Great Grand Mother talked about cooking cabbage down before "burying" it, called it (at 10 I barely understood her pigeon English / Cherokee Indian mix) "quiknin". Now that I think on it she could only have meant "quickening" or speeding up the pickling process by cooking it first, so that it would be usable faster.