Sausage recipes

Mako22

BANNED
Getting ready to make venison sausage and some wild hog sausage in the next week or so. I'm going to make both pan and linked sausages using Leggs plantation #10 seasoning. How do you guys make yours and what recipes do you like?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
For breakfast sausage, you've already got about the best recipe you can get. Go get enough pork fat to get at least 25% fat in your sausage, and add the pack of Legg's to about 20 lbs instead of the 25 lbs it calls for.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
For breakfast sausage, you've already got about the best recipe you can get. Go get enough pork fat to get at least 25% fat in your sausage, and add the pack of Legg's to about 20 lbs instead of the 25 lbs it calls for.
This , I recently made some and done exactly this with seasoning and made links and breakfast and have tried several recipes and this was my family’s favorite , ate some this morning , didn’t add any fat but pig I used was very fat !

naildrvr

I agree with the above, Legg's is good seasoning. I also like Doug Jefford's Sparkle Sweet.

deermaster13

Leggs is good and I use it for the base season. We like a lot of sage in our breakfast sausage so we add a bottle of McCormick sage to it.

Mako22

BANNED
I have been buying Boston butts and going 50/50 on the venison and the butt. Is using pork fat better for flavor instead of a butt?

ugajay

Some may disagree, but I can't tell the difference in beef fat and pork fat. Like deermaster13, I add sage to the mix also, and add some extra red pepper. But I don't think you'll find any better than leggs

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think good pork fat is better than butt meat, but the butt meat works, too. As for beef fat, you can use it, but you won't get the same flavor. I save the beef fat for making stuff like brats.

greg_n_clayton

That me and Jigman29 made last week turned out awesome !! I gave a few 1/2 lb packs away. Word got around how good it turned out. I am now n the market for a electric grind so I won't be bugging him !!