Savannah River crappie limits

lampern

No person may carry to either state or possess in such state more fish than the laws of that state or those of this agreement permit, even though the fish were caught in the waters of the other state.

from the regs book

But there is a 40 fish aggregate for all "game fish"

SC counts yellow perch as a game fish.

GA does not.

The limits in this agreement are a joke when you get down to it.

Basically all GA and SC did was agree to the same limits on striped bass, hybrid striped bass and black bass.

Last edited:

Beagler

I don't believe this correct. It only applies to which side of lake you launch and take out from.

I’m not going to debate:: I do know when the South Carolina enacted their limits on crappie, a game warden was asked about the two states being different. His words were two boats were bumping each other on Russell, the boat in Georgia waters betterbe following Ga state law and the boat in South Carolina waters better be following South Carolina law. He said he doesn’t always agree with the law but it’s his job to enforce them. As for me I’m catch and release only I just fish to catch and let em go.

lampern

If you are that worried about pickerel, yellow perch and crappie limits just catch and release them.

Problem solved.

Bass are king and other species don't matter. I'm convinced of it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you are that worried about pickerel, yellow perch and crappie limits just catch and release them.

Problem solved.

Bass are king and other species don't matter. I'm convinced of it.

I hope you're being sarcastic. I wouldn't trade one yellow perch or crappie fillet for every bass on the planet. :)

pacutj

It’s rather confusing so I spoke with DNR personally in regards to the savannah river. Basically you can have either state’s license to fish the main river. However, if you enter a tributary (lake, creek, etc.) you must have that state’s license. Creel limits apply to the state waters you are in at the time of fishing/being checked. Savannah river is just one of those places that have different creel limits due to differences in state regs and the two sides do not agree as of yet.

lampern

I just find it curious they were able to agree on black bass but not other species like crappie and yellow perch.

Browniez

I just find it curious they were able to agree on black bass but not other species like crappie and yellow perch.

I would offer that black bass are kept for the table far less often than crappie and perch. Therefore, it's kind of a wash on the bass, but crappie and perch are usually kept. This makes the regs applicable.

lampern

I would offer that black bass are kept for the table far less often than crappie and perch. Therefore, it's kind of a wash on the bass, but crappie and perch are usually kept. This makes the regs applicable.

Or the Bassmasters likes having tournaments on Hartwell and Strom Thurmond.

Just this year the vaunted Bassmasters Classic was held on Hartwell.