SBRs in GA

DD4300

Does anyone have an info regarding the laws of Short barreled rifles (SBR)?
Ive read that you need a $200 tax stamp to purchase a rifle w a barrel less than 16 in. but am not sure.
Anyone have any info?

PappyHoel

It’s $200 for the tax stamp and your local county sheriff will need to sign off on it (I believe). However the rules have changed a bit.

Everything you need is in this link. It will take 6 months at the least

https://www.atf.gov/file/11281/download

JeffinPTC

You mean a AR pistol, right? Or MP5 etc? Your Govt is AFU ( All Fouled Up). Build an AR pistol with a 7" barrel with a "Brace"and don't worry about it. Here's the first thing that Googled for AR pistol.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-15-pistols/

Or 300 BLK. The hardest part is finding a load that will cycle in the 7". We tried Nosler 125 gr over 21.5 of AA 1680 yesterday for a good supersonic load.
With a SilencerCo Octane on the 7", Still working on a Subsonic load that will consistently cycle. Nosler 190 CC over 10.1 AA 1680 was not consistent. We're trying 10.8 next.
The SilencerCo was $200 tax stamp and 12 months last year.

Last edited:

edapp

You don't need the stamp to buy a barrel, but you do need it before you can legally assemble the SBR.

transfixer

You mean a AR pistol, right? Or MP5 etc? Your Govt is AFU ( All Fouled Up). Build an AR pistol with a 7" barrel with a "Brace"and don't worry about it. Here's the first thing that Googled for AR pistol.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-15-pistols/

You're right, with the way the guidelines are for AR style pistols, you can build a pistol and have virtually the same thing as a SBR, unless you just " have " to have a specific buttstock on your short barreled gun. That would be the only reason I would see to go through the hassle of getting a SBR.

JeffinPTC

If you are building, don't reuse a lower that has been built as a "rifle," esp if you bought it assembled as a "rifle." Buy a new lower for your "pistol". See remark above under "AFU."

Dr. Strangelove

It can be a rifle,
Or it can be a pistol,
But both it cannot be.

Once it is one,
It cannot be the other,
Unless you wish to swing from a tree.

(And get your dog shot.)

Assuming this isn't an ATF troll, yes, an SBR requires a tax stamp.

Yes, you can build an AR pistol and use shorter than 16" barrels, but you have to use specific "pistol" butt stocks, not regular rifle stocks.

An AR lower receiver can be purchased and assembled as either a rifle or a pistol. Once it is mated to an upper receiver, that lower is forever whichever one you decided, rifle or pistol.

Best advice is if you are going to messing around with short barrels, make darn sure you understand the rules and regulations, don't just go asking questions on the internet.

Kanook

It can be a rifle,
Or it can be a pistol,
But both it cannot be.

Once it is one,
It cannot be the other,
Unless you wish to swing from a tree.

(And get your dog shot.)

Assuming this isn't an ATF troll, yes, an SBR requires a tax stamp.

Yes, you can build an AR pistol and use shorter than 16" barrels, but you have to use specific "pistol" butt stocks, not regular rifle stocks.

An AR lower receiver can be purchased and assembled as either a rifle or a pistol. Once it is mated to an upper receiver, that lower is forever whichever one you decided, rifle or pistol.

Best advice is if you are going to messing around with short barrels, make darn sure you understand the rules and regulations, don't just go asking questions on the internet.

If it starts out a "rifle", it is always a "rifle. (unless you "SBR" it.)

If it starts as a "pistol", it can be converted back and forth. (No butt stock on pistol)

ryanh487

Federal laws govern NFA items like SBRs.

It is a $200 tax stamp to do either a form 4 transfer of an existing registered SBR (if you bought it from a dealer or individual) or a $200 tax stamp to get a form 1 approval to register a receiver to build an SBR. You will need to have the receiver engraved with certain information and to certain specifications.

To get either approved, local law enforcement does not need to sign off, only be notified. When you send in your form 4 or form 1 with your check, fingerprint card, and passport sized photo to the ATF, you mail a duplicate copy of the form only to the sheriff's office as notification, I believe.

If you get a "gun trust" drawn up, you can register any NFA firearms to the trust and anyone on the trust as a co-trustee can have possession of the items registered to the trust. The beneficiaries listed on the trust will automatically become the trustees at your passing, and will not have to pay another transfer fee to take possession of the items in the trust. A co-trustee cannot also be a beneficiary, and a beneficiary does not have the same ability to legally possess the items without you being present while you are alive. You will also need to submit a fingerprint card and passport photo for every co-trustee any time you send in a transfer approval request to add new items to the trust.

All that being said, I just built a few AR pistols with braces. Unless you're going with a larger caliber AR, the brace is fine. If you want something like a .458 socom, go the SBR route.

Anvil Head

I have a Ruger Charger pistol and a Ruger Takedown rifle - the front section (barrel and forestock are easily interchanged. So, everytime I switch them I'm breaking the law? Never saw the need to do so, but had to try them out.

ryanh487

I have a Ruger Charger pistol and a Ruger Takedown rifle - the front section (barrel and forestock are easily interchanged. So, everytime I switch them I'm breaking the law? Never saw the need to do so, but had to try them out.
Yes, you are constructing an illegal SBR, which is a felony. Unless of course you mean you put the rifle forend on the charger, which i'm absolutely sure you meant, which is perfectly fine.

PappyHoel

I would caution anyone from putting a pistol brace on your (pistol rifle). There’s a federal court case in Ohio right now prosecuting someone for doing just that. Don’t have the link but it’s in the political forum.

ryanh487

In that case the man constructed his own cheek rest and modified the brace. His case has also been dismissed by the judge.

Every commercially manufactured brace has an ATF approval letter before it is sold.

Kanook

Just got reading the summary. As mentioned above by ryahn487 the defendant didn't have prior approval for his cheek rest, but the was found not guilty anyway so all is moot (except his court costs and time)

PappyHoel

Just got reading the summary. As mentioned above by ryahn487 the defendant didn't have prior approval for his cheek rest, but the was found not guilty anyway so all is moot (except his court costs and time)
That’s the thing Court costs and time. I’m not saying just saying.

ryanh487

what information is supposed to be engraved in the receiver?

Your name (or the name of the trust it's registered to)
The city and state of manufacture (your home city and state)

If you register a DIY completed 80% lower, you will also have to add the caliber and a serial number.

Jester896

Senior Clown
mine doesn't have that information on it and nowhere did I see that requirement in the paperwork.

It doesn't matter if it was an 80% lower or not the caliber still has to be registered with the serial #. You cannot list the caliber of an SBR as Multi. You can change it (caliber) easily by informing BATFE by letter. You can also unregister the lower as an SBR with a letter.