Scared in the woods!

Woody's Janitor

I was hunting on the ground butted up against a tree close to my feeder, about 10 yards, this past Friday evening, when about 10 hawgs should up for a snack. I picked out the biggest one and as I was pulling the trigger on my crossbow, the feeder went off. The hawgs scattered in every direction! It was funny. One almost ran into my lap. About 45 minutes later, a herd of 16 showed up. When you look at a group of wild hawgs close up and see the tusk on everyone of them, it's not a good feeling. I was going to give it a go with my Walther P99 9mm and I picked one of the big 5 hawgs. I raised my pistol and it misfired so I pulled up my crossbow and picked the biggest one out and let it fly. It hit the big hawg and it went running off squealing like a Burt Reynold's movie and the others left the scene in different directions. I'm sitting on the ground with a metal/plastic rock, since the pistol misfired, and began to hear four hawgs making a growling sound close by. The rest were chopping their teeth together. It's getting dark and I got to walk out with angry hawgss all around. It was not a good feeling. I pulled back the slide and ejected the round that didn't fire thinking that solve my problem. No it did not. It was both a big thrill and scared feeling at the same time.

Dub

Not a fun situation at all.

Most every encounter I've had with hogs was they wanted nothing more to do with me and ran off. Only times things ever got testy were when I got in between a sow and her piglets. I walked right into the situation and it was game-on before I even knew what was going on.

Fortunately for me, I'd taken to carrying a trusty G20 along with me on that swampy tract due to the cold blooded critters that'd slink & slither into ground blind spots and not respond to a polite shooing away. :rofl:

Prior to that piece of land, I'd always hunted inland spots, higher ground and only packed in my rifle or bow.

Had you ever had any problems from that pistol before ?

krizia829

That's why you need a Glock! Lol scary but funny at the same time. Glad nothing happened to you though! But seriously... Get a Glock. :ROFLMAO::p

Josh B

I went on a pay hunt where I was only supposed to shoot one hog but I accidentally got 2 with 1 shot. The other pigs started running towards me so I took off running. Lucky for me the guide was pulling up on gator.

Reactions: Dub

sleepr71

They get ornery REAL quick?. Try walking up on a big old boar,in a corral trap..or one that’s injured & playing possum! ?

I had a run in with a huge rank boar last year. Wasn’t to much fun. I was hunting on that ground at dusk, when I heard steps coming up from down the ridge. Sure enough, it was a big nasty tank of a boar. It stopped as soon as it saw me, then took off, heading straight towards me. I ended up shooting it right inbetween the eyes, 10ft from where I was sitting. Needless to say, I have started hunting from a climber to get off the ground.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's not a good feeling when you're crawling on your hands and knees through a palmetto and greenbriar thicket following a hog blood trail with a headlamp at night and you hear about ten of them stand up in front of you about five feet away but it's so thick you can't see them, and they all start growling and popping their teeth and you have a single-shot Sharps rifle about five feet long.

I discovered that I can crawl backerds at a pretty good rate of speed. It's a talent I didn't know I had until then. :bounce:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
First pig I ever shot was a small sow. I stalked up on a group of 8-10. I arrowed the one closest to me. She ran into some thick brush. I started tracking her and started hearing this noise. I didn't realize what it was. I came to this little clearing and there is a 300 lb. sow standing over the one I shot. She started popping her teeth. I decided to go find out what Momma was cooking for breakfast. My brother and I went back about an hour later and took the 30-06 with us. She was long gone.

I wasn't really scared. Ive never forgotten that sound though.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Your 1st mistake was trusting a Walther P99. Dump that piece of junk and buy a better pistol.

flyrod444

IMG_20170320_093537062~2-672x494.jpgI hunt hogs at night and if they don't fall in their tracks it makes for an interesting search in the dark for a black muddy critter. I carry a 357 sig with 15 round mag and night sites when searching. Haven't had to use it yet on a hog but have got one coyote with it. I did back out when I trailed this beast to a thicket I couldn't see into a few years ago. No way would I want to meet him if he had any steam left in close quarters in the dark. Took me about 10 minutes to find him the next morning.

LT6767

31yrs ago I used to belong in a hunting club that was on a 930 acre lease in the corners of Jones, Bibb and Twigg county. One morning I make my way into a ground blind set up on about a 4ft drop off and sat down waiting for dawn. As I'm sitting there, I keep hearing a scratching noise that's slowly coming up from behind my right shoulder. About the time it was getting extremely close to me, it was just getting light enough to see. At that point I pulled the hammer back on my Marlin 336 and whirled around with the gun pointed. As soon as I did that, a turkey popped it's head up about 3ft from my face and let out the loudest squaking noise I'd ever heard. After almost needing to walk back to camp for clean underwear, the turkey flew off in a bustle to never be seen again. It's funny when I look back on it, but at the moment it definitely scared me for a few seconds.

Dub

View attachment 952412I hunt hogs at night and if they don't fall in their tracks it makes for an interesting search in the dark for a black muddy critter. I carry a 357 sig with 15 round mag and night sites when searching. Haven't had to use it yet on a hog but have got one coyote with it. I did back out when I trailed this beast to a thicket I couldn't see into a few years ago. No way would I want to meet him if he had any steam left in close quarters in the dark. Took me about 10 minutes to find him the next morning.

Ah........yup.......believe I'd have backed out....brewed a pot of coffee and waited until daylight as well.

Hogzilla looking monsta right there. (y)

31yrs ago I used to belong in a hunting club that was on a 930 acre lease in the corners of Jones, Bibb and Twigg county. One morning I make my way into a ground blind set up on about a 4ft drop off and sat down waiting for dawn. As I'm sitting there, I keep hearing a scratching noise that's slowly coming up from behind my right shoulder. About the time it was getting extremely close to me, it was just getting light enough to see. At that point I pulled the hammer back on my Marlin 336 and whirled around with the gun pointed. As soon as I did that, a turkey popped it's head up about 3ft from my face and let out the loudest squaking noise I'd ever heard. After almost needing to walk back to camp for clean underwear, the turkey flew off in a bustle to never be seen again. It's funny when I look back on it, but at the moment it definitely scared me for a few seconds.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll bet that sure'nuff had you wide awake.

I recall a similar experience on an early morning hunt from a 12ft covered buddy stand. I'd made it quietly to the stand and eased up into place....got my rifle situated and pack squared away. I had just put the thermos down on the seat beside me....binoculars made ready.....pretty much just getting things in their spot awaiting daybreak.

Outa nowhere an owl swoops in and lands on my covered shooting rail. We scared the mess outa each other. o_O

LT6767

Ah........yup.......believe I'd have backed out....brewed a pot of coffee and waited until daylight as well.

Hogzilla looking monsta right there. (y)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll bet that sure'nuff had you wide awake.

I recall a similar experience on an early morning hunt from a 12ft covered buddy stand. I'd made it quietly to the stand and eased up into place....got my rifle situated and pack squared away. I had just put the thermos down on the seat beside me....binoculars made ready.....pretty much just getting things in their spot awaiting daybreak.

Outa nowhere an owl swoops in and lands on my covered shooting rail. We scared the mess outa each other. o_O
I've had an owl swoop right in front of me at dawn a few years ago. It'll make ya check your underwear. Lol