Scientist to be punished for gene editing

WaltL1

A real genius might figure out how to make them useful and give them dignity.
Assuming a genius would consider that a worthy pursuit.
A genius might also consider it a worthy pursuit to exterminate them cleanly and efficiently.

ambush80

That would definitely take gene altering.

Not out of the question. CRISPR. There's an interesting thread on the Sam Harris forum where someone suggests helping out races that are lower in IQ by the use of gene modification. You can imagine the blow back a suggestion like that elicits. It's an interesting discussion.

https://forum.samharris.org/forum/viewthread/69852/

Equally interesting and related to the above thread is this:

https://forum.samharris.org/forum/viewthread/69814/

WaltL1

I'd be open to hear that argument.
I have to start with an assumption -
Im assuming there has always been geniuses relative to the knowledge base of the time.
Man has always divided themselves up into "classes".
I would bet on that continuing for a long, long time.

ambush80

I'm reading this book called DNA Is Not Destiny. The author brings up the case of Harry Eastlack. He had a condition called FOP and it caused his bones to grow out of control. They have identified the neuclotide on his DNA that caused his condition. It was on codon 206 located on chromosome 2. "His horrible disease was caused by a single typo on his 6-billion-letter genome. If his genome was written down on paper, it would be the length of about 800 Bibles, and this single letter in the wrong place-"
eastlack.jpg

I first find it amazing that we understand the genome that well, knowing that there is more about it that we don't know and secondly that we can fix those kinds of problems soon. I was discussing this with my Mom and and she said "Maybe it's better to just let Nature run it's course as part of God's plans". My mother is a good thinker in most respects but it confounds me that she would come to a conclusion like that.

Last edited:

Rick Alexander

I saw a show on tv recently where they are successful now in creating super horses for polo now using cloning. Not pie in the sky - these are exact copies of champion horses on a grand scale. Makes you think humans are already out there somewhere growing to maturity with this already

WaltL1

I saw a show on tv recently where they are successful now in creating super horses for polo now using cloning. Not pie in the sky - these are exact copies of champion horses on a grand scale. Makes you think humans are already out there somewhere growing to maturity with this already
I think I saw that same show.
Lots of controversy about how "fair" that is as only a few breeders can afford to do the cloning and how it takes away from the spirit of the sport. No such thing as a legendary horse anymore as they will all be legendary and in fact legendary or dominant or 1 in a million etc will cease to exist.
Same path humans would be going down. All the words and concepts about being above or below average will become obsolete. Everybody can be Rembrandt or a Hawking or a …...

ambush80

Lots of controversy about how "fair" that is as only a few breeders can afford to do the cloning and how it takes away from the spirit of the sport. No such thing as a legendary horse anymore as they will all be legendary and in fact legendary or dominant or 1 in a million etc will cease to exist.
Same path humans would be going down. All the words and concepts about being above or below average will become obsolete. Everybody can be Rembrandt or a Hawking or a …...

Awesome!!!

WaltL1

Awesome!!!
I know this probably completely emotionally driven but my initial response is -
Not Awesome.
Sounds boring to me.
Seems like things like wonderment and awe or inspiring or amazed etc would become kind of obsolete things.

ambush80

I know this probably completely emotionally driven but my initial response is -
Not Awesome.
Sounds boring to me.
Seems like things like wonderment and awe or inspiring or amazed etc would become kind of obsolete things.

I'm sure lots of new and unexpected issues will arise to keep things interesting.

Israel

BANNED

Mark Zuckerberg: Did you know that there are more people with genius IQ’s living in China than there are people of any kind living in the United States?
Erica Albright: That can’t possibly be true. What would account for that?
Mark Zuckerberg: Well, first of all a lot of people live in China. But here’s my question, how do you distinguish yourself from a population of people who all got sixteen hundred on their SAT’s?
Erica Albright: I didn’t know they take SAT’s in China.
Mark Zuckerberg: They don’t. I wasn’t talking about China anymore, I was talking about me.
Erica Albright: You got sixteen hundred?

And he/she can figure out what to do with the burdens on the rest of society.

Burdens as in:
how do you distinguish yourself from a population of people who all got sixteen hundred on their SAT’s?

Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Hint: You end up with "Facebook for Mar's Colonials."

Last edited:

WaltL1

I'm sure lots of new and unexpected issues will arise to keep things interesting.
Sure but I like the idea of "individuality" I guess would be a word for it.
The guy/gal that cant do fractions but picks up a guitar and blows you away.
The mentally challenged guy/gal that picks up a paint brush and creates beautiful art.
The Downs Syndrome person that couldn't care less what race you are or how much money you make.
Things like that.
What would be interesting about Salvador Dali art if there were a million or ten million Salvador Dalis?
Just seems like the world would become a very "vanilla" place.

Israel

BANNED
The mentally challenged guy/gal that picks up a paint brush and creates beautiful art.
The Downs Syndrome person that couldn't care less what race you are or how much money you make.
Things like that.
What would be interesting about Salvador Dali art if there were a million or ten million Salvador Dalis?

Sprinkles dude, sprinkles. It's all in the sprinkles.

ambush80

Things like that.

People have a six billion letter genome. There will be differences unless they are all clones. What's wrong with a million Dalis and a million Mozarts and a million Elon Musks? I'm sure there will be problems but who better to solve them? Take a bit of comfort in the FACT that every time something new came down the pike that MOST people were against it, that includes vaccines, nuclear energy, flight, and fire. Recognize that unforseen problems always arose but that the net result was positive.

Sprinkles dude, sprinkles. It's all in the sprinkles.

It is all about the sprinkles.

ambush80

Mark Zuckerberg: Did you know that there are more people with genius IQ’s living in China than there are people of any kind living in the United States?
Erica Albright: That can’t possibly be true. What would account for that?
Mark Zuckerberg: Well, first of all a lot of people live in China. But here’s my question, how do you distinguish yourself from a population of people who all got sixteen hundred on their SAT’s?
Erica Albright: I didn’t know they take SAT’s in China.
Mark Zuckerberg: They don’t. I wasn’t talking about China anymore, I was talking about me.
Erica Albright: You got sixteen hundred?

Burdens as in:
how do you distinguish yourself from a population of people who all got sixteen hundred on their SAT’s?

Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Hint: You end up with "Facebook for Mar's Colonials."

There are parts of people like Zuckerberg that can be troubling. Maybe they can fix them, too.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
People have a six billion letter genome. There will be differences unless they are all clones. What's wrong with a million Dalis and a million Mozarts and a million Elon Musks? I'm sure there will be problems but who better to solve them? Take a bit of comfort in the FACT that every time something new came down the pike that MOST people were against it, that includes vaccines, nuclear energy, flight, and fire. Recognize that unforseen problems always arose but that the net result was positive.

The unforeseen is always a fear to consider.

I think in this case, the unforeseen is where would the line to be drawn between prevention of a defect that causes one to be a midget, and just short people? And who decides what’s short?

WaltL1

What's wrong with a million Dalis and a million Mozarts and a million Elon Musks?
Whats wrong with it? Nothing. I was giving my personal feelings on it.
Although you used Dali and Mozart and Musks because they are different/recognizable etc. If there were a million of them they would be just another name.
And I think we may be several combining points into one. I can certainly recognize the accomplishments that could be made if we were all geniuses. I think Im just pointing out that there will be a cost for that which strikes me as being individuality.
There will be differences unless they are all clones.
Sure. But 1 person preferring pepperoni and 1 person preferring sausage on their pizza is kind of boring differences.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

How about cloning a psychopathic murderer into 1,000,000 to do the deeds that sane people wouldn't?
I am sure some Gov't would be interested. The intentions of the one doing the cloning are not always to benefit society. They are done to benefit themself.

ambush80

How about cloning a psychopathic murderer into 1,000,000 to do the deeds that sane people wouldn't?
I am sure some Gov't would be interested. The intentions of the one doing the cloning are not always to benefit society. They are done to benefit themself.

The robots won't let us do that.