Scope and iron sights on Ar

southgaoriginal

hi im not sure this is going to work but my father just bought an ar-15 I don't have much experience with them. Any way my question the gun he got has is flattop with a rail and a gas block rail. he wants to iron sights and to mount a scope on it for the occasion that he deer hunts. Any suggestions? I have seen iron sights mounted on the side of the guns before but that is not what he wants. I know I could get some old style see thru mounts but most of what I see available for iron sights flip up. Just need some ideas

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have flip-up sights co-witnessed through a red dot scope on one of mine, works fine. Don't think it would work with magnification, though. The other option would be 45* mounted flip-ups. They actually work quite well.

GoldDot40

Only thing to remember if you use a flip-up site on the gas block. Plastic (Magpul, etc) isn't a good idea if he shoots a lot. The gas block can get hot enough to melt the plastic. Troy battle sites are a better option to mount directly mount to a gas block since they are metal.

For the scope, look for some raised scope rings that will get the front site out of the line of the scope.

cmshoot

Go with a magnified scope in a one-piece mount (easy to remove and replace) and a good set of flip-up iron sights. There's plenty of excellent flip-up iron sights that are as fully-adjustable and accurate as fixed A2 iron sights.

SlowRain

So here is my 2 cents. Before doing anything have him decide what is the primary role he is using it for. BUIS on AR's really for the majority, are just that...back up. Most AR owners have an optic of some sort, either magnified or something like an Aimpoint or EoTech (which by the way, I would not buy...Google "EoTech Recall" and you will see why).

I set mine up trying to incorporate 2 uses for the same setup. First it is the "if the world goes down the drain, this is what I am grabbing" and second for something to use for hogs and coyotes. So it has Troy BUIS sights that fold down. Those where sighted in, and then a Trijicon ACOG 4x32 with the RMR dot sight on top installed. The idea is that I can use the RMR for close work and the 4x32 for further targets. There really isn't any need to the BUIS unless the whole optic system takes a dump or is damaged, and then it is quickly removed and the BUIS is flipped up as a backup system.

It really boils down to how are you going to be using the rifle.