Scope for Ruger 44 Carbine?

transfixer

That Vortex is a perfect example of what I was referencing in my earlier post, its made overseas, but yet the Glass is crisp and clear, comparable to scopes costing twice as much, and as long as the company stands behind their warranties, you're good to go without breaking the bank

killerv

That Vortex is a perfect example of what I was referencing in my earlier post, its made overseas, but yet the Glass is crisp and clear, comparable to scopes costing twice as much, and as long as the company stands behind their warranties, you're good to go without breaking the bank

there has also been reviews of the crossfires reticles breaking on rimfires! If you want to trust that on a deer of a lifetime, etc. So be it, just tell the deer to hang out for a little while while you get it replaced under warranty.

transfixer

there has also been reviews of the crossfires reticles breaking on rimfires! If you want to trust that on a deer of a lifetime, etc. So be it, just tell the deer to hang out for a little while while you get it replaced under warranty.

Before I hunt with a scope I've already run it through the ringer with 50 to 100 rounds, between sighting in and practicing, scopes on a AR even more rounds, to make sure it holds zero , if it holds up for those rounds I'm relatively sure its good to go for a couple shots on an animal. Now if you're one of those people who buy a box of shells and sight it in with half the box and save the other half for hunting ? then that would be a legitimate concern .

transfixer

As I mentioned before, I own both Leupolds and cheaper scopes, I've owned a VariXIII 4.5x14x50 that I had for years, used it for hunting clearcuts, till I got tired of it having to be mounted so high on a 700 so the objective would clear the barrel, and discovered that a Weaver scope with a 30mm tube and 42mm objective had just as good a light gathering ability at dusk as the Leupold did, I changed over to the Weaver. I still own a Leupold VariXIII 3.5x10x40 that is a good scope , clear and crisp, but not really any better than others I own. At some point I would like to own one of the higher end Vortex's, as they seem to have surpassed Leupold in reputation now, as well as Nightforce scopes, but those are currently out of range in my budget. Leupold scopes are great, but some of what you are paying for is the name.

Interesting factoid, that hopefully pertains to their .22RF(?) scopes only. My experience with Vortex, firsthand, is a lot different. Whiskey 5, 1-5x20 on a .35 Whelen; great. A whiskey 3, 3-9x40 on a 7mmSAUM; great. Another Whiskey 3, 3-9x40 on a .325WSM; great. A Diamondback HP 3-12x42 on a .270WSM; great. A Diamondback HP 2-8x32 on a .300SAUM; great and a Crossfire II 1-4x24 (noted above) on a .444; great.

All these scopes are still in use right now on those rifles, save for the Diamondback HP 2-8x32 as it was replaced with a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40, because I wanted a scope with IR on that rifle. And, for the record most all those other Vortex scopes I listed here HAVE illuminated reticles and all have worked just fine on what I would call rifles with what many might consider considerable recoil. The Diamondback HP 3-12x42 is a simple duplex type reticle.