Scope for Thompson Contender

carver

I use a Simmons 2x6 on my TC Encore 7mm08 it has served me well

Buckhead

I have a 2x Burris mounted on a 10" .44 mag. I generally limit my shots to 50-60 yards. I have found that with anything higher than a 2x, I have a hard time maintaining a free hand steady hold. Especially when a nice buck appears.

I guess you would be fine with higher magnification variable or you use shooting sticks or something for a rest.

Davexx1

I have a 14" Contender 7x30 with an Ultradot brand red dot sight on it. The Ultradot has performed flawlessly for many years. The red dot is great for most hunting situations. The red dot has adjustable brightness, is quick to pick up and easy to use in all but real bright light conditions such as mid day bright sun in open country. Then, you will have to turn the brightness up. In dawn or dusk light conditions, the red dot is super easy to see even on the lowest brightness settings.

The only downfall for the red dot is the dot covers up some of your target. That is not a problem at normal deer hunting ranges but at longer distances the dot covers up more of the target and becomes somewhat less precise.

The typical small crosshair type handgun scopes do not have great light gathering abilities and seem to be difficult to use in low light conditions such as in heavily wooded areas during early or late hours. Many have said the target (deer) is hard to find especially at close range.

Dave

Last edited:

Lilly001

I have a 14" Contender 7x30 with an Ultradot brand red dot sight on it. The Ultradot has performed flawlessly for many years. The red dot is great for most hunting situations. The red dot has adjustable brightness, is quick to pick up and easy to use in all but real bright light conditions such as mid day bright sun in open country. Then, you will have to turn the brightness up. In dawn or dusk light conditions, the red dot is super easy to see even on the lowest brightness settings.

The only downfall for the red dot is the dot covers up some of your target. That is not a problem at normal deer hunting ranges but at longer distances the dot covers up more of the target and becomes somewhat less precise.

The typical small crosshair type handgun scopes do not have great light gathering abilities and seem to be difficult to use in low light conditions such as in heavily wooded areas during early or late hours. Many have said the target (deer) is hard to find especially at close range.

Dave

I have an ultra dot on a 10" .357 max. I bought a 2x leupold to replace it but I can't bring myself to do it.
The ultra dot is just such a comfortable set up.

deerslayer357

I have a tc 2-7 on my 7/08 encore- it works fine. Also a 2x leupold on a ruger 44- wish it was a 2-6/7. I like to hunt with a rest and usually use higher power on scopes

Madman

I have collected a few barrels for my contender frame.
What scopes are you using?
.44mag
.357herret
45colt
.221fireball
.17mach IV
My .44mag has a redfield but has black specks inside.
That brings back good memories. I've shot a lot of deer with .30 Herret / 130 gr. Nosler & 150 gr. Sierra. I use the old 1-1/2 Lobo. Never let me down.20190320_215428_resized.jpg

Tom W.

3x7 Burris worked for me. But it was an Encore pistol.

gemihur

Leupold or Nikon if obtainable is my preference.
But some older scopes have proven to be quite reliable.
Ultralux was a good one and Nikko-Stirling Nighteater also have a good track record.
Even BSA Edge serves my pistol shooting.7-30 waters w target med.jpg