Scope question: Vortex Viper PST Gen II

George30022

I own severl Vortex Scopes; Two Vipers - GEN I, Two CrossFire II . I am currently rebuilding my LR Remington 700 in 308. I have a Boyds Varmint Hunter Stock but will remove it for a GrayBoe Tactical. I have pulled my Viper PST GEN I, 6-24X50 off and will apply it to my Remington 700 (new 27136) 24" in SS. This leaves my LR Rem 700 - 26" Heavy Varmint on a new Graboe Stock but with a need for better Optics. $999 will get me the Vortex PST 5-25X50 Gen II FFP. It appears well suited for my 600 to 1000 yrd shooting. I have looked thru a few VX3 - Leupolds but nver a VX6. The Glass just seems soo much clear' than a Vortex. I am just looking for a review from an owner of a Gen II PST and thier opinion of the quality on the glass.

lonewolf247

$999 should buy an adequate optic. There are a few pretty good choices in that price range. It’s good to get people’s feedback with hands on experience, if you can find an owner.

IMO, once I am going to spend $1000 on an optic, I would definitely go a store, outfitter, a place of business, who sells the different optics, I am interested in, and do a side by side comparison, and see for myself, before I spend my money. I’ve done this a handful of times when I’ve bought premium optics.

Reactions: Dub

Buckstop

I have a couple of vx6’s that are amazingly clear. They’re not the hd as they were closeouts. Far clearer than the pst gen I in low light. Havent compared to the gen II. I have a vx 5hd that I like a lot too. Same glass but was only offered in 3x15 or less. Leupold recently anounced they are coming out with a vx 5hd in 4x20 x50. Should be a good offering in that price range.

wareagle700

Careful picking up the scopes and doing table top comparisons. At that price range, they all "look" good but there's way more to it than glass, specs, and features. How the scope performs over time with tracking and zero retention, IMO, is a much bigger decision factor. Do your research, there are lots of newer scopes that look and sound good but don't hold up or track well.

$1000 is Nightforce territory. There are like new and lightly used SHV F1's and NXS scopes around $1000 sold every day. That would be the best value out there, but you may have to sacrifice a little too end magnification. Other good scopes in that range would be the Bushnell DMR, LRTSi, and LRHS as well as the SWFA 5-20HD.

Last edited:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you are rebuilding your 308 and are going to put a new barrel on it why not change the caliber to 6mm NORMA BR. and shoot 105 BergerVLDs. It is much more accurate and easily reloaded. Mine shoots less than 2 inch groups at 400 yards. .243 on left and 6mm NORMA BR. on right. You only lose 200 fps from an 80 grain .243, but much more accurate. My barrel has a 1 in 8 inch twist Brux barrel.

Attachments

• 243+6mmbr. .png
    243+6mmbr. .png
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 400 yd target.jpg
    400 yd target.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3

TomC

I would not buy a Vortex for long range unless I was willing to spill the beans for a Gen II Razor and even used you are looking at $1500+ nor Leupold unless I was willing to step up the MARK5HD’s which are AWESOME but $2k ish, and NF SHV’s while having decent glass just don’t check all the boxes IMO. PST II is a nice scope and they are everywhere because well everybody carries Vortex and yes a great warranty but there are some other options you might want want to look at. If you are OK with a FFP scope and spending a tad more REALLY…..I mean REALLY check out the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5 x 30 (NOT THE BTR), 34mm tube, FFP, zero stop, illuminated tree reticle, and it has ED glass…...yes ED glass. They are a newer company but are developing a VERY solid following with the long range hunting / target crowd REAL FAST. Just an an UNBELIEVABLE scope for the $$$$. Kenzie Optics near Carterville has them. They retail for $1199 but with online sales you and patience you can get for close to $1k. I’d even look at the no bells and whistles been around forever Sightron SIII’s which are PROVEN, Zeiss Z4’s (AWESOME scopes but second focal plane) or something used like a Bushnell DMR-II / LRTSi or SWFA 5-20HD’s which with a little patience can be found used for around $1000 on some of the long range rifle and hunting forums. If you could find a good deal on a used PST II for $600 ish…...maybe…...but otherwise I’d do some research and shopping around…...particularly the Athlon Ares ETR!

cmshoot

Nightforce, regardless of which line, are always a good investment for the money spent. If you’re not in a hurry, the NXS line is fixing to be retired and replaced later this year, so I expect to see some close out sales. I own numerous ATACR’s, an NX8, and a few of the NXS Compacts. Never an issue with any, and they’ve never left me wanting. The ATACR 5-25x56mm is the new USMC Scout/Sniper optic.

The VVPST line is a solid optic for the money. I have seen few issues with them and I haven’t had trouble getting any of my students running them out to 1,000yds, and further. A great starter optic, and for many shooters it’s all they’ll need.

The Vortex Razor and Razor AMG’s are great optics. I still prefer NF, but I’ve no complaints with them.

I’m gun-shy when it comes to Leupold. The Mark 4 line is the optic I have seen fail more than any other at my courses. The Mark 6 and Mark 8 lines certainly cost more, have more features and better glass, but I haven’t seen reliability commiserate with that price tag.

Heard good things about Athlon, but I haven’t seen enough of them come through my classes to form a solid opinion on them. Time will y’all.