Scope recommendations

AVS23

So I’m trying to decide on a scope for a cz 527 in 6.( grendel Warne medium rings, so the bolt handle may be an issue and no larger than 42mm objective.
This rifle will be used for deer and target shooting out to 3-500...

I currently use these.
Cz 557 6.5x55 leupold 3-9
Savage 16 243 weaver fixed 4
Cz 527 223 weaver fixed 6
Cz 455 lux weaver fixed 4

Yeah I like fixed powers but feel that I need a variable for the Grendel. I’ve been recommended a Weaver V16 but I have no experience in adjustable objectives or turret twisting. Not opposed to them just not sure where else to look.

Anyone got suggestions under $350?

Thanks

Big7

The Oracle
Leupold is what I use mostly.
Anything VXII or up will do plenty good and then some.

Other than .22 budget scopes, I've got one Nikon Pro Staff 3X9X40 on my .243 varmint/target rifle. It's a great scope but it's the only Nikon I've ever bought new.

500 yards should not be a problem with either with some range time.

Hillbilly stalker

I went thru 2 brand new Weaver 4X scopes on my .44 mag carbine. Weaver aint what they used to be.

AVS23

Haven’t had any issues with my weavers. The fixed 6 on the 223 when used with a red light actually is brighter than the leupold I have. Like all things though, quality can waiver in a product line from piece to piece, I have heard that their metal tube older scopes were above what is made today.

I guess my biggest decision is deciding between a bdc/mil reticle or a turret twister. I did find a used Nikon Buckmaster ii 4-12 that wasn’t bad and the occult bell looked like it would work with the cz, but I wasn’t impressed to give what they were asking.

A nice scope with a useful power range for what you mention would be a Vortex Diamondback HD 3-12×42. I have one on my .270 WSM and it suits it very well, IMO.
(right)

0211191205a.jpg

Reactions: Dub

AVS23

I’ve had vortex’s d they are nice scopes, unfortunately the ocular bell is to big to be used with the Warne rings with a cz bolt lift, unless I modify the bolt handle. That may be what I have to do.

Anyone with long range experience care to chime in on turret twisting vs a bdc reticle with and without parallax adjustment. Is the adjustment really that detrimental?

killerv

problem with the nikons are the large rear eye pieces they are putting on them these days. Midway is really good about putting measurements on their website though for most if not all scopes.

The fact that weaver only does lifetime warranties for the original owner says something. Get a leupold 4 1/2 to 14 with the b&c reticle, if you don't like the reticle when its all said and done, just print you out a quick ballistics chart and turn your turrets as needed. Turning turrets should only be necessary between 300-500 yards though if you are zeroed correctly out to 200-250 depending on load. Plus they offer the cds system if you give them your load info.

pacecars

Not on your list but the Leupold 6x42 or Meopta 6x42 are what you should look at. I have used these two models and have shot deer and pigs from as close as 10 feet to over 400 yards and never needed more (or less)! They both have an excellent eye box and I actually prefer them for close range woods hunting compared to a 1.5x5 variable

AVS23

I have a weaver 6x38 on my 223. Varmint rifle. It has crossed my mind to look at the leupold 6x36. I really like fixed powers but for some reason think I need a high magnification for targets out to 500.
May reevaluate and consider the fixed 6 again. I though about doing a custom from leupold with a bdc reticle.

lonewolf247

Looks like you have a stable full of fixed power scopes already. I would buy a variable power scope, and leave your other scopes alone. IMO

If you bump up your budget to $400-450, that would open up a lot of possibilities! I really like Meopta, but Leupold and Vortex are good options in that price range as well. All 3 companies have excellent warranties.

pacecars

I did try one of the new 6x36 Leupolds on a Browning High Power Safari Grade .300 H&H and found it to work perfectly on that rifle. The optics are great

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
For shooting at different long ranges I suggest a scope with target turrets. Then you can put a CUSTOM TURRET LABEL on the elevation turret. This will facilitate you to laze the distance in yards then turn your turret to the distance then hold for wind and then shoot. Not pessary to figure out the "DOPE" at each different ranges.

http://customturretsystems.com

PS: Here is a picture of one I have on my Bushnell 4.5-18x40mm on top of my M4. It goes up to 900 yds. I left the end stick out for the photograph.

Attachments

• custom turret .JPG
    custom turret .JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Knotwild

I am going to buy one a Sightron 2-10 x 32. They are backed by a solid company and the reviews are good. I also have a 2.5 x 8 Leupold that I love and it would work great for you. I can make hits with it to 400 yds when I read the wind right. I am also looking at the 3-9 x 33, which would work good for you.

Sightron 2-10 x 32

Leupold 3-9 x33 Light Weight

drumbum77

Banned
I've shot a lot of different scopes Nightforce, Vortex, etc....and I'm telling you, the 10x40 by SWFA is the best looking glass under $500. I shoot with this at the CMP regularly with great success. You will not be disappointed! Go ask big John (the range master) at the CMP what the best sub $500 scope is and he'll tell you the SWFA. Matter of fact, a lot of guys are putting these on $3,000+ dollar target rifles. They run $350 bucks.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

lonewolf247

I've shot a lot of different scopes Nightforce, Vortex, etc....and I'm telling you, the 10x40 by SWFA is the best looking glass under $500. I shoot with this at the CMP regularly with great success. You will not be disappointed! Go ask big John (the range master) at the CMP what the best sub $500 scope is and he'll tell you the SWFA. Matter of fact, a lot of guys are putting these on $3,000+ dollar target rifles. They run $350 bucks.
I do hear that the SWFA scopes are great scopes! I've been tempted to buy 10x40 myself!