Scope Selection???

Looking for some advise on a new scope...I am debating between a Swarovski, Zeiss, Leopold and Meopta scope for my new 270. I would like a 50mm scope and have roughly $1000 to spend, willing to go a little higher if the quality is that much better.

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm supposing you like the 50mm objective for it's low light performance. I'd suggest checking on scopes with an illuminated reticle for the ultimate in low light performance, and specifically the VX5 with Firedot Duplex reticle.

Magnification range is a personal preference, but I prefer having nothing above 3 on the bottom end, and prefer 2X on the low side myself. The 2-10×42 or the previously mentioned 3-15×44 would be the two I'd look at and compare directly to Zeiss or Swarovski.

Best of luck with whatever you ultimately choose.

HughW2

I agree on the comments above regarding magnification range; especially on the low end. A whitetail Hunter in Georgia does not need the same power scopes as a pronghorn hunter in Wyoming. The scope companies have gone crazy with the high end magnification offerings; mostly driven by the tactical /chassis rifle market and the fact that they can charge more $:devilish: for the big and powerful glass! 2-12x40 is all you could ever need in Georgia and will handle the majority of any western hunts you might take.

The reason I was considering the 50mm was to maximize low light conditions. I’m leaning towards a Swarovski Z5 2.5x12x50 (anybody have experience with this scope) but Zeiss, Meopta and Leopold all make really nice scopes. I guess you can’t go wrong with any of them but its a hard decision.

mike352

One thing to look at is the transferable lifetime warranty’s. I know Leupold and zeiss have it, just sent a zeiss HD5 back and was given options to upgrade and add some cash or go with a v4 in which I went with. Warranty means everything to me.

lonewolf247

If your budget allows for Swarovski, you can’t go wrong! I’ve been hunting with Swarovski scopes for over 20 years. I have 3 of them, and they are great.

Meopta would be my second choice, in quality, but probably my first choice in most for your money! I’ve done side by side comparisons right at dark with Swarovski, Zeiss, and Meopta, and Meopta doesn’t give up a whole lot. I have three Meopta’s also btw, so I am talking from experience.

Zeiss makes great scopes, but in recent years they seem to change their product line too often for me. I do own a Zeiss scope btw.

I don’t usually suggest power range for scopes, unless people ask for advise or mention a power range, but since you mentioned... I like 4-12x50, for all around hunting, or something similar. 2.5-12x50 would even be better.

Meopta warranty is written same a Leupold. Lifetime transferable warranty. Swarovski is written as lifetime warranty, not sure if it implies transferable. I do have a Swarovski warranty story. I bought a used rifle with an all but destroyed Swarovski scope on it. I wasn’t the original owner, nor did I have any warranty card, and the scope was never registered. For all practical purposes, it was about the same as finding one on side the road in the ditch. I called Swarovski to see if I have a chance for warranty repair. They said put $1000 insurance on it, and send it in. 2 months later I got it back working like new, repaired on their dime!

I pick Swarovski and Meopta....

Last edited:
I agree that Zeiss and the others have outstanding low light capabilities, and my Zeiss scopes are my brightest in very low light. However, they cannot come close to the performance of my Leupolds, Sig Sauer or Burris with illuminated reticles. On all my low light comparisons, Nikon, Sig Sauer, Minox, Zeiss and Leupold, Zeiss Conquest have been the best. But, when I include a dark target at lowest light, the Zeiss will lose the reticle (Z-Plex) on a dark background.

The Firedot excels at reticle/shot placement. If you can see your target, light or dark colored, you can place a precisely aimed shot using the illuminated reticle. Not everyone needs the optimum in VERY low light performance, but with the hog hunting and bear hunting I do going well past SS and in very thick woods, I'll not use anything else but an illuminated reticle. Another plus is the ability to have a red dot type sight for full daylight shots as well.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Leupold vx5 hd 3x18x44 ..ultra clear glass and you can get custom dials for it and you will have a better cheek weld with the 44mm scope ..the vx5 hd glass will hold its on with much higher priced scopes

That's what I've done in the past. I don't see me buying a new rifle. If I did it would DEFINITELY be a
Leupold. Every rifle I have wears Leupold except two. One high end Nikon on a center fire and a pretty darn good Tasco on a 10/22. Can't hardly go wrong with a Leupold. They have excellent warranty and customer service.

Buckstop

You wouldn't be unhappy with the Leupold VX-5HD's or VX 6HD's. Like others have said they have the same glass and they excel in low light. I have a couple of the VX-6 non HD models in 3x18x50 that were on liquidation that I really like. Both have the fire-dot, which is nice too. Only drawback is they have zero stop but no zero lock like the newer HD models.

I set up a buddy's rifle up with a VX-5HD 3x15x44 last year and was pretty impressed by it too, especially for its price. I think it was a tad under $800. Zero-loc, fire-dot and cds.

No experience with the others. But doubt you could go wrong with a Zeiss or Meopta either. Both make good scopes in that price range and certainly have their following.

Reactions: Dub

lonewolf247

I've always been told to get a 30 mm tube instead of 1 inch for low light. 30mm tube and 40 mm objective will pull more light than a 1 inch tube and a 50 mm objective is what I understand. I could be wrong, been wrong before.
In the short answer, from what I’ve always read, heard, and seen for myself, tube size has no direct being on light transmission. All else being equal, when comparing apples to apples.

Many times a manufacturer will put its best glass, coatings, and optical system, in a scope with a 30mm tube, so it may appear that way. 30mm tubes, IF it’s actually built with 30mm components, offers more adjustments on the turrets, and slightly stronger tube. Nothing more from I understand.

delacroix

BANNED
Any of those will do. 50mm is not necessary for GA. Those scopes are different to use though. You need to try them in person to get a feel for which suits you.

VX5 2-10x with Firedot would be an easy choice covering all bases.

HughW2

Great point by Delacroix. The 50 mm and larger objectives are great for the shooting bench or box blind but they are not the best for off hand shooting or climbing stand. The extra weight throws balance and tends to make you "cant" the shot (top heavy rifle). If you are contemplating a big objective borrow a buddies rifle that has one and see for yourself how balanced it is. Also big objectives and 30 mm tubes come at a cost in terms of weight. Lots of rifle to lug around, or to aim at a moving deer.