Screw repair

mwood1985

I had a supposed to be great long time in business gunsmith drill a Mauser 98 action for scope mounts and mount them. Went to put a scope on and its off. One of the mounts got drilled off center. Is it possible to fix the old holes redrill and then redrill properly or did he ruin a 1950s era build? Trying to gauge options and opinions before I make him refund and pay someone else to do the repair.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
it depends on how far off the hole is. You may be able to run a screw into the hole, respot into the correct place, and drill and tap it in the right location. That would leave a partial screw in the messed up hole. If it isn't that far off (at least 1/2 the diameter of the screw) then it might be able to be welded up and redrilled and tapped.

mwood1985

Im not sure which mount is off. Gotta figure that out still. Its maxed out windage so no scope adjustment is gonna save it. Hopefully we can weld it up and refinish it to save it. Gotta take it to a gunsmith I trust that has built 2 of my 98 sporters so far. Its a basic task to tap a rifle. They make a jig specifically for the 98 Action. And I think he tried to do it by eye instead of the right way

Big7

The Oracle
If it's not to far off, you can get a machine shop to put a helicoil in it. It will have to be done in a milling machine. A drill will just follow the existing hole. If it's not far off, I'll be happy to explain the process of moving the holes back to the right place. Easy peasy.

How far off? Got a pic?

This is just my game. Explain it to me real good and I can tell you exactly what to do.

Robust Redhorse

This is my ultimate pet peeve with gunsmiths...

If they can't put in a screw without buggering something up (unless they implicitly warn me upfront), I am done with them forever!

Heck, I can drill a hole and thread it, and run a screw in!

If a gunsmith can't make it look like it came from the factory, then find a good gunsmith and flush whoever you are using!

ol bob

Find a micro lazer welder, he can fill the hole to where you can't tell its been done.

Robust Redhorse

Thom Oliver apprenticed with, then bought out, Neil Spruill (Hogleg Smith).

He will get my business, until there is an unforced error.

So, far, VERY PLEASED!

mwood1985

I definitely bailed out of the one I used. Another that I've had great work from fixed it no problems.