SD Cards

EDH

What size sd cards does everyone usually have in their camera? Is 8gb too small? It would mostly be used for pictures but I may set it to video from time to time?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What size sd cards does everyone usually have in their camera? Is 8gb too small? It would mostly be used for pictures but I may set it to video from time to time?

IMO it depends on how often you are changing the card. A 2-4 gb will fill up within 2-3 weeks

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
If I remember correctly, it seems 8gb held about 2500 pics at 12 or 14 mp.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I never use over 8gb cards.

sowega hunter

I have some 1 and some 2 gig cards and I've never had a problem with pics or video. I do check my cameras pretty often though.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
The below information is from the voice of experience as so far since January 1st, 2018, through yesterday, my WGI cameras have taken 92,225 photos of various wildlife this year.

I posted a link for this information on another recent thread so this should help you. Check this out and also know that these are somewhat guidelines as night time photos versus day time photos will take up a huge less difference of Megabytes etc.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/...ictures-that-can-be-stored-on-a-memory-device

I ONLY USE 8 GB SANDISK MEMORY CARDS and since I have so many cameras, I also have a back-up stock of memory cards as well because I was able to purchase a large amount from Amazon several months ago and again recently. I swap my cards out most every week so I have to have double the actual amount of my cameras in service. I think at last count, I do have well over 100 of the 8 GB cards now. By buying in a larger quantity, I was able to pay about half of the normal prices...if you can even find the 8 GB cards in the stores now.

For 99.9% of people, you will NEVER need more than an 8 GB SANDISK MEMORY CARD.

Now if you are RICH, then by all means go buy those REALLY EXPENSIVE 16 GB and also 32 GB cards that MAY OR MAY NOT WORK IN YOUR CAMERA.

PS: In the sake of honesty, I do still have about four of the original 4 GB Sandisk cards that I ONLY use on a couple of camera locations that have a really small amount of activity.

furtaker

I generally use 4 MB or 8 MB but I have a handful of 16 MB that I use when I have a camera a good ways from home and I might not be able to check it for a while.

Twinkie .308

Here's what I use

4gb - cams I check often
8gb - cams checked over 4 weeks
16gb - cams set to video checked often
32gb - cams set to video checked over 4 weeks

Wal-Mart has 16gb cards for $7 with their trail cameras in sporting goods