Seafood

fuelman1

Speeds is really good but slow. You'll be waiting for a while. They don't prepare anything ahead of time. B&J's in Darien is really good. They have a buffet on the weekends. It's packed. The Fish Dock near Crescent is really good. It used to be Pelican Point buffet. It's not a buffet anymore. The guy that owns it owns Phillips Seafood and Sapelo Sea Farms. They farm clams and oysters locally. It's really fresh seafood. Great fried shrimp. All you can eat shrimp on Friday night and catfish on Saturday night.

Bream Pole

Ate at B&J's in Darien today. Got there at 3:00 and there were about 20 people waiting outside. Because only 2 of us were were seated in about 5 minutes. Had all you can eat crap legs which has the buffet available to you at no extra cost. I pigged out. Had 7-8 crab leg clusters and flounder and shrimp from the buffet along with some cole slaw. DEEEElicious. They peel local fresh Ga Wild White Shrimp all day long. I'm good friends with one of their suppliers. Flounder is not local, but its good.
I highly recommend B&J's.. I hear the Fish Dock is good. It is next door to Skinners Shrimp dock. You can buy fresh shrimp there if they have them. They operate I think three boats and sell what comes in quickly.

blakefallin

x10 on crabshack....Pirate's House to me is not all that great considering how expensive it is, but it is a really cool place to go. Tubby's on River Street is also very good. Really good place called the Fish Camp in Darien that's really good to but that's a little ways from Savannah

JackSprat

Speeds is really good but slow. You'll be waiting for a while. They don't prepare anything ahead of time. B&J's in Darien is really good. They have a buffet on the weekends. It's packed. The Fish Dock near Crescent is really good. It used to be Pelican Point buffet. It's not a buffet anymore. The guy that owns it owns Phillips Seafood and Sapelo Sea Farms. They farm clams and oysters locally. It's really fresh seafood. Great fried shrimp. All you can eat shrimp on Friday night and catfish on Saturday night.

I was in Speeds about 1980, ordered fried shrimp. They ask me if I minded waiting a few minutes while they unloaded the boat.

Had the best crab stuffed flounder I have put in my mouth. Wasn't a filet flopped over a scoop of something crab. It was lump crab meat stuffed in a whole flounder

Crazy crab on Hilton Head and Hilton Head is in the Savannah area. Headed over there tonight

Last edited:

B. White

Is this place still one of the best in the region? We will be in the general area this week, but want to make sure it is still good, since it is a little out of the way on our plan.

Also, it looks like they are closed the first part of the week. Any other hole in the walls to suggest that have good old fried seafood? We will be staying up toward Metter for the most of the time, but will drive to eat good.

fuelman1

Is this place still one of the best in the region? We will be in the general area this week, but want to make sure it is still good, since it is a little out of the way on our plan.

Also, it looks like they are closed the first part of the week. Any other hole in the walls to suggest that have good old fried seafood? We will be staying up toward Metter for the most of the time, but will drive to eat good.

If you're making a special trip I would go to B&J's instead of Speeds. The Fish Dock also has good fried seafood and some great outdoor seating right on the water. Skippers on the waterfront in Darien has good food and also some great outdoor seating looking over the water too. There is a newer place called The Seafood Cabin. It's near Darien. I have seen really good reviews. A lot of the places down here are closed the beginning of the week.

B. White

B&J steak and seafood in Darien best fried shrimp and oysters have eatin.

Made it into this place for the first time this week. We only had oysters and shrimp, but it was about as good as anything I recall having anywhere.

We both ordered the shrimp and oyster dinner. It is pricey, but we both ate all we could and still brought home a to-go box full of oysters and shrimp. We left the sides there. It was pretty much like going to the buffet without having to get up. We will definitely go back when in the area.