Second and Third season of Dove Hunting

TylerC

New to Georgia and looking to try dove hunting with my son this year, I am curious if the second and third season of dove hunting is just as good as the first season?

sportsman94

It certainly can be! Just depends on the feed and the birds. It is definitely more enjoyable weather wise than first season. Late season you have to hunt the birds when they are there, cause they may push out as quick as they came in.

tucker80

I like it better myself. Decoys work great, birds work better, it ain't a 1,000 degrees out.. Just a good time all the way around.
Hunt clearcuts if they aren't in the fields.

TylerC

I like it better myself. Decoys work great, birds work better, it ain't a 1,000 degrees out.. Just a good time all the way around.
Thank you!

TylerC

Thank you!

GTMODawg

BANNED
New to Georgia and looking to try dove hunting with my son this year, I am curious if the second and third season of dove hunting is just as good as the first season?

If you're in the right field it is exponentially better than the first season. If it is right is far better than opening day. Gotta have your game tight though...more mature birds who have been hunted hard coupled with pin feathers which make em seem armor plated at times. Birds are FAR better fliers in November than they are in September making them much harder targets. On the plus side decoys work really well and, again if you are in the right spot, the number of birds can be astonishing....especially when coupled with the fact that you are alone or nearly so.

My uncle has a place in NE Georgia about 2 miles as the crow flies from the Savannah river. About 20 acres of pasture surrounded by pine trees and cedar trees with a power line crossing about 1/3 of the field and an island in the middle of the field with a HUGE oak tree. It is not at all unusual to limit out on that field in 20 minutes several times a month after opening day. We don't hunt it on opening weekend and after the first hunt its usually just me....and it is EPIC! The only consistently better dove shooting I have ever experienced was in New Mexico. For a myriad of reasons it probably won't be productive this season and I am looking for a place myself, dang it.

GTMODawg

BANNED

Great advice! Clear cuts with cedar trees are migrating dove magnets AND you don't have to be concerned with pressure because the birds are only going to be there a short while most likely and will move on if shot at or not. I have had some epic afternoon dove shoots on clear cuts in bitter cold weather...all alone with no one around!

One of the best things about this is there are thousands of places like this and most are huntable.....they are out in the country and the power company don't seem to mind someone shooting them LOL. I have never had anyone question what I was doing. Probably subject to it but it has never happened. I have had some epic dove shoots this way in metro Atlanta! Fulton, Douglas and Clayton county.....especially around the South Lake Mall area LOL....it can be fantastic.

spring

The latter seasons, to me are definitely better as you get the migratory birds coming down, which are generally a bit bigger (full grown) and tougher. The early season is all local birds. The latter seasons give you both.

releehweoj

Cooler temps and no gnats are pro-s. Fast and high flying migratory birds that seem a little tougher are con-s. Fewer shooters to cover a field can also be a limiting factor but on the whole I think it's a plus.

TylerC

Thank you all!